Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

999 Throwing Three Codes

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  TheSouthAfrican 
#1 ·
Got my new harness back in, everything is plugged up and will turn the motor but it just won't start.

Throwing these codes now...

10.2 Hor. Coil shorted to earth

12.2 Inj1 shorted to earth

13.2 Inj2 shorted to earth

WTH?!

#2 ·
might want to check your grounding. the codes seems to be straight forward as to where you need to check.

10.2 Hor. Coil shorted to earth --- this seem to indicate the coil pack for the horizontal

12.2 Inj1 shorted to earth --- this indicated grounding for injector #1

13.2 Inj2 shorted to earth --- this indicated grounding for injector #2

#4 ·
I'll be in the garage checking all the fuses, re-checking every plug, and pulling out the battery box to look at the ecu again. If anyone could find me a picture of an ecu still in the battery box with the ground correctly properly I would more than greatly appreciate it.

I can't seem to find anything on google or the service manual to help with that.

#5 ·
had the same issue,
turned out after 50,000 K the coil leads just from wind where rubbing on some metal brackets, it wore through the Italian hockey stick tape and was shorting out..

re taped all good..

but that was my case...
what I can say is that the error codes are usually very accurate.

#6 ·
My coils are brand new and an upgrade from the 03 crappy and rusty coils. They had been working fine for almost a year now.

The reason for replacing the wiring harness was something grounded out, but it didn't throw a code. The added resistance caused a lot of heat in the positive wires and actually caused them so sever and melt! :eek: I'm actually still removing hardened copper drops from my coolant runners behind the box.

I'm pretty sure it was just the engine ground cable rubbing against the frame and or box bolt and that caused the short and resistance.

Now that that is replaced with all new wires, everything lights up and is good to go, but something is still not grounding properly. I checked all the fuses and connections. The fuel pump is priming properly, and even in neutral the clutch seems to want to spin for a second before the bike stops trying to turn the motor? I replaced the pressure plate bearing as I had been having issues with it... did I put something back in wrong?

I tried to start so many times I let the battery die, but that is mostly because the headlight light stayed on when I had tried to start the bike and then turned off the key and took it out. (didn't notice it until I came back to the garage a while later) The battery is now being recharged and I took the battery box back out, I used a grinding stone to clean all the terminals and the engine case ground. Also used battery cleaner foam (the yellow stuff that turns pink in presence of acid) to clean all the terminals and bolts/washers.

Still looking for a picture to see if I properly grounded the ecu...

#9 ·
Yaaay. Everything fits. And the bike starts!

The two latter of the three codes was the airbox plug not being properly screwed in :facepalm: < That is just me being an idiot for not checking that over properly.

The bike runs, but it does not run well. The 10.2 code is still up and there seems to be a little smoke coming from somewhere on the right side - by the vertical head.

Also, the clutch is LOUD. Sounds like something is knocking, I am not sure what in the world is going on there. Could it be because I went down to 4 springs and not the normal 6? I was told this would make the clutch quieter, but the real reason I did it is because one of the bolts was stripped and I had to drill it out; did not feel like ordering more.

Any ideas? Do you want me to take/upload a video?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.