1098 Engine Oil- Shell Ultra any good? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Mechanical Tech Discussion > Oil and Lubrication

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 8:15 am   #1 (permalink)

Question 1098 Engine Oil- Shell Ultra any good?

Greetings,

Although Shell synthetic Oil recoomended by Ducati I've read some negative things about it (gears not engaging properly, thin oil causing rough response on accelaration etc). The eternal question! Which Oil is best for this bike provided the bike use is touring not track and temperatures are like California i.e. pretty hot? Any experience with Kendall 20W-50 mineral oil?? Synthetic better than mineral oil (mileage 6000 km)?

Thanks in advance
PP996
PP996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 10:42 am   #2 (permalink)

I almost 99.8244769% sure your bike takes 10W40, not 20W50. I'm almost 98.1124% sure Shell Ultra is not available in the US anways, since you didn't say where you're at. Pick any oil you may be brand loyal to...there's not really any that are "bad". You'll find a lot of recommendations for Amsoil and Mobil 1, but there are many others. My favorite is Amsoil.

'05 749s...Termi 54mm full system, 41t sproket, DiD chain, Evoluzione fender eliminator, PCIII/custom map, Pazzo Levers, Puig DB Windscreen, Penske Shock, CRS Forks, CF everything.

www.ducati-owners-group.com

"Freedom, for those who fought for it, has a flavor the protected will never know..."
galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:21 am   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP996 View Post
Although Shell synthetic Oil recoomended by Ducati I've read some negative things about it (gears not engaging properly, thin oil causing rough response on accelaration etc).
You're right about being VERY cautious when it comes to Shell oils. Shell Advance Ultra 4, in particular, will clean, lubricate and cool your engine internals. And we don't want that now, do we?

Seriously, man. I know you're only looking for advice and I probably shouldn't make fun of it but do you honestly think Ducati would pour that oil into EVERY SINGLE engine coming from the factory unless they KNEW it would do it's job in every imaginable situation related to normal use of their bikes?

Of course they wouldn't!

I've used Shell Advance Ultra 4 since day one on my bike and I've never had a problem with it. If you can get it, there's no reason to doubt its qualities. Having said that, I believe Amsoil is a very good alternative.

I will be trying out Amsoil this season and I'll let you know if I'm able to detect any differences (good or bad) between the two.
molasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 3:57 pm   #4 (permalink)
Banned

I'm a Motul 300V fan.

20w50 is what Ducati and all the service providers I've talked with, suggest for oil. You can use 10W40 of course, I don't think there would be a problem... I've not tried it yet and it has less additives.
tye1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 4:20 pm   #5 (permalink)

Talking

998 - 1098 is 10-40

we have tighter tolerances and rev more

Ducati 2002 998 Red Mono
Honda 2003 RC51
Honda 1994 Honda CB1000 "Big One"
throttlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 9:19 pm   #6 (permalink)

Shell Rotella Full Synth.
Wallmart or any Autoparts store...

I have have more than one Ducati tech mention it's good stuff
What I run anyway.. lol
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 9:45 pm   #7 (permalink)

... troll alert... that original post HAD to be loaded. Anyway, isn't there a "Oil and lubrication" forum somewhere on this site?
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 9:47 pm   #8 (permalink)
Ban Hammer

Yup. It's there (here) now!
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 6:33 am   #9 (permalink)

Is it such a crime Bella 749 I post the thread in the wrong forum?? What is YOUR problem?
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 6:38 am   #10 (permalink)

Thanks Molasses. Oils reccomended by manufacturers some times is related to Marketing agreements and Shell pours money to Ducati. I did not say it is bad I asked if there is something better out there and generally a simple

I just needed an advice from you expert guys not an angry reply!

Last time I am using this forum. Thanks people for your wisdom and lack of patience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement