Do I Really Have To Change My Oil Every Year? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By jahjah

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 2017, 3:36 pm Thread Starter
Editorial Content

Do I Really Have To Change My Oil Every Year?

Quote:
Dear MOby,

I just saw your answer regards oil change. My manual says that I need to change oil every 3000 miles. But I only ride about 1000 miles per year (very short commute). By the book, I need to perform oil change every three years. Do I really need to change oil every year? Is it okay to change oil every three years, just because I donít ride that much?

Thank you
Jay

PS: Just to make myself comfortable, I do oil change once a year.
Read more about Do I Really Have To Change My Oil Every Year? at Motorcycle.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 2017, 6:54 pm
Moderator in moderation

Garage
Yes.

Mike
2006 ST3
2004 KLR 650 (the Truck)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 2017, 7:24 pm

Garage
It's extremely important to change it at least once per year and especially if stored over the winter.

2016 Ducati Panigale 959 (Arctic White)
2016 Ducati Monster 1200 R (Thrilling Black)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 7:06 am

Change according to service manual (adjusted to driving style/miles covered), less if you don't care, more often if you really, really care about your bike. Easy!

Myself, I change ALL fluids every year. I have a 6 month winter period, and I like working on my bike, so why not? It may be excessive, but I like it and it is not that expensive.

900SSie 2002 - Senna
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 8:49 am

I end up changing it 2 or 3 times a year, depending on how much I ride that year. Twice is minimum, though. By mileage, I change every 5K to 6K miles. I'm in NH, so I do have to store it for the winter, and it does get cold out in late fall and early spring.

I ride a 1993 Ducati M900 Monster, typically about 11K to 12K per year. I change in the fall when it starts getting cold to full synthetic 10W/40, ride for a month or two and store it with that for the winter, ride for a month or two, then change when the weather starts to warm up to the originally recommended full synthetic 20W/50 for the main riding season. If it's a high-mileage year (15K to 18K), I'll do an extra change during riding season. I've got 260K now, on the original engine, so I'll say this is a workable program.

My wife has a 1995 Ducati M900 Monster, very similar to mine, but she rides more like 2K miles a year, and only when it's nice and warm out, so I change her oil once a year, and keep the recommended full synthetic 20W/50 in it all the time.

PhilB

1993 Ducati Monster M900, 259K miles (so far)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 9:57 am

Oil does not go bad just sitting in a crankcase.

A big mistake is to start the bike periodically over the winter without reaching a temperature adequate to remove the water that condenses inside the crankcase. If you are worried about the oil draining from the cylinders, turn the engine over periodically but don't start it. If your commute is only a few minutes, that's the worst scenario and you should change it more often or add some longer rides.

If you had the bike at temperature for a while when you shut it off, and you have low mileage on the oil, changing it is just a waste of time and oil.

Changing the oil on a motorcycle is important because you have a gearbox chopping the molecules up. However, that takes quite a while. Changing it more frequently would only be dependent upon accelerating either the oil wear rate, such as during track days, or increased contaminants, primarily due to worn rings or unfiltered intake.
PhilBoncer likes this.

I try to be thorough. I rarely return to a thread. If you have a question for me, PM me.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2017, 3:10 pm

First, I feel the obligation to address the fact that you only ride 1k a year, you need to ride more my friend

When oil is sitting in its original bottle stored it does not go bad, however, while its in the engine moisture and other issues cause the oil to lose its protective components.

Motorcycle, jets skis, boats and car manufacturers as well as oil manufacturers recommend to change oil at least annually to prevent unnecessary wear since the oil begins to go bad.

If you store the bike in the winter, like me, I (and more people here) would most likely recommend to change it before the riding season begins even if you don't meet the mile required under the maintenance book.

Lala : '14 Monster 1200S White
"If everything seems under control, you are not going fast enough." M.A.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2017, 2:11 pm

Garage
I race my 749R exclusively and change my oil prior to every race weekend. A weekend consists of Friday practice (15-20min/hour X6, maybe 50 miles?), Saturday morning practice (20 miles), Saturday afternoon racing (40 miles) and Sunday racing (40 miles). I use Motul 300V and replace the main filter and clean the sump filter every time. It takes an hour and costs $90. I also bleed my brakes and the clutch (and replace the fluid prior to round 1 and after round 3) and media blast the front rotors. Every month. My motorcycle loves me. Don't you want your motorcycle to love you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode