Do Americans pay a VAT for purchases in UK, Italy, Germany, etc? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Ducati Motorcycle Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 11:47 am   #1 (permalink)
ZDM
Super Senior Poster

Do Americans pay a VAT for purchases in UK, Italy, Germany, etc?

Just curious......as far as I know we don't and shouldn't have to, I don't even pay taxes when buying online out of state. Anyone know for sure? A VAT is a Value Added Tax - FYI
ZDM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 21st, 2010, 11:59 am   #2 (permalink)

re: "I don't even pay taxes when buying online out of state."
don't say that too loud. The IRS (actually state-tax folks) would love to speak with you (You're supposed to calculate the amount of items purchased "outside of your state, and then volunteer that figure to them so that you owe your state, its state tax).
I have a feeling that most people also ignore this...

VAT: I don't believe they're supposed to charge VAT if the vendor is shipping OUTSIDE of the EU (European Community).

Try this home-cure-all: Shove a DUC between your legs.

Present DUC: 2003 ST4S Yellow! 2001 ST2 Blue
Past DUCs: 1998 ST2, 1981 500SL Pantah, 1985 MHR Mille, 1987 Paso Limited, 1995 916 mono
Other brands (past):
1978 BMW R100RS Motosport, 1978 R100S, 1981 Moto Guzzi V50 Monza, and a long list of Hondasakizukis
Stick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 11:59 am   #3 (permalink)

No, not currently but the Democrats are working on it (after the election of course). No I'm not kidding.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 12:15 pm   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducryder View Post
No, not currently but the Democrats are working on it (after the election of course). No I'm not kidding.
Wait, the Dems are working on a way for us to pay english tax for online purchases from england? Please turn the Rush Limbaugh program off.
hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 1:02 pm   #5 (permalink)

He's referring to the state sales taxes.
'67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN Vet.
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 1:09 pm   #6 (permalink)

Actually both Dems and Repubs are quietly discussing a US VAT to get us out of the hole they both dug us in. If you want the real news you have to turn off your TV and go looking for it. I suggest www.infowars.com as a place to start.

This thread is about someone from the US buying from a retailer in the EU, Italy to get technical.

I have purchased several items from there and never been charged a VAT tax. A seller who has not charged others VAT is trying to get my to hand over 20% more (VAT) to buy something from them.
ChrisRam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 1:43 pm   #7 (permalink)
ZDM
Super Senior Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
He's referring to the state sales taxes.
If I were to buy a widget online from a widget company in Italy, as per international tax law can they charge me a VAT?
I doubt we'll ever go to a VAT......fortunately we are half way thru the Obama presidency after which he's gone and this country can get back to business and world leadership-not this appeasement BS!
ZDM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 2:29 pm   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDM View Post
If I were to buy a widget online from a widget company in Italy, as per international tax law can they charge me a VAT?
I doubt we'll ever go to a VAT......fortunately we are half way thru the Obama presidency after which he's gone and this country can get back to business and world leadership-not this appeasement BS!
If they DO charge you VAT, they're just putting it in their own pockets. Exports are exempt.
'67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN Vet.
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 3:04 pm   #9 (permalink)

If you are a visitor the UK, you can reclaim VAT on purchases made whilst over here, but as you might have guessed, Her Majestys Customs & Excise don't make it entirely straight forward, look here:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/c...s-visitors.htm

If you're buying by mail order, you're pretty much screwed however:

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...yType=document

The pertinent paragraph being this:

2.8 Can the scheme be used for sales by mail order or goods sold over the Internet?
No. Goods sold to entitled persons by mail order or over the Internet will fall within the export rules set out in Notice 703 Export of goods from the United Kingdom. However, a mail order company or an Internet retailer with a retail outlet can use the scheme for goods sold from that outlet provided they comply with all the conditions set out in this notice.

Sorry!
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 3:10 pm   #10 (permalink)
Chilehead

The beauty of VAT is that there is no VAT on used items (unlike sales tax), as it's already been paid!

The beauty here is that VAT is 7.6%, so we don't pay the VAT at the country of origin, just ours, so if I come home from vacation with a car full or wine or motorcycle parts, they give ME money! (they difference between French/Italian VAT (20%) and ours!

Tom
1998 ST2
2003 SS1000DS
2003 999R #29

www.motogiro.com

st2lemans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.