Does Ducati Need a Dirt Bike? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2017, 11:55 am Thread Starter

Does Ducati Need a Dirt Bike?

I think the off road market is coming to Ducati in technology and market position. Some of the more traditional dirt bike brands are starting to lag behind in their technology, while brands like KTM and Husqvarna are starting to dominate the market with extensive use of carbon fiber and titanium. Would Ducati Purists accept it?
jheurte and dadridesagain like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2017, 1:01 pm

Garage
My initial thought just prior to opening this thread was "no" until I saw the illustration and then it was a resounding "yes!"

I think DP bikes are more attractive to a broader audience but who knows where that trend will go.

Randy,
'02 BMW R1150RT
'05 ST3
'06 BMW K1200S
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2017, 1:14 pm
1st Gen Hypermotard Hooligan

I have wondered it too but I'm not sure if Ducati necessarily wants to be known for building dirt bikes.

'10 Hypermotard 1100 EVO SP l Termignoni 2-1 Full Exhaust l Reflashed ECU l PC-5 l Custom Dyno Tune l Corse Dynamics Velocity Stacks l UNI Pod Foam Air Filters l Remote Crankcase & Idle Air K&N Filters l DP Skid Plate l 1098 SFS Clutch Cover l Corse Dynamics Oil Fill & Drain Plugs l Speedymoto Frame & Axle Sliders l DP Reservoir Covers l DP Racing Seat l Antigravity Battery l 190/55 Rear l
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2017, 2:10 pm
work to live. ride to work.

A search on that image took me to this article. I'd hope they'd make a 250 version as well. A 450 would be too much for me, and I imagine a lot of casual off-roaders.

then: '72 Suzuki TS 50, '80s: 650 Special II, XL600, V65 Magna; 2012 Pikes Peak
now: '14 Triumph Daytona 675R, '14 Yamaha TS200
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2017, 2:29 pm Thread Starter

if they were to do a 450, then a 250 would almost be a given. I would think that their brand exposure in north America would be worth it for the company, far more people follow and attend motocross/supercross in North America then any sort of road racing.
dadridesagain and RockAZ like this.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2017, 4:05 pm

Garage
Simply put, no.

It has done well without one.

For such a small company, it would have to rehash its talent and resources on something more broad that it can handle.
2004 999s likes this.

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2017, 4:06 pm

A DOHC 450 thumper at premium Ducati prices??? Cool can't wait for the repair bill when I inevitably drop it.

2003 Monster 800S
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2017, 4:35 pm

My guess is that Ducati is trying to emulate the success of KTM, which is equally expensive but has been extraordinarily successful in marketing itself over the last two decades. They both got in the motorcycle business at about the same time, but whereas Ducatis were (and are) fussy, KTMs developed their Austrian reputation for reliability, true or not. They perform very well, are every bit as expensive as Ducati, but KTM has about four times the sales as Ducati worldwide. Whereas Ducati went down the path of the cruiser, KTM did dirt bikes and enduros and built its brand that way.

The funny part is that off-road (real off-road) sales are a negligible part of the American sales, about 10% overall if I understand it correctly. But they are skewed to the younger crowd, so that people grow up on dirt/enduro bikes and then move to street. If they are going to maintain brand awareness, then the brands they aspire to will be the ones they gravitate to when they age. I aspired to Ducatis, but the younger crowd may just see Ducatis as finicky and laden with problems, whereas KTM enjoys both its own reputation and the overall aura of the German/Austrian engineering world.

My guess - only a guess guys - is that Ducati, now that it has become part of Audi, is taking a leaf from that playbook.

Ron

2005 999s Hephaistos polumetis
2003 ST4s ABS Senna Petrarca peregrinus ubique
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2017, 4:46 pm

no to expansion;

stick with quality hand built & leave mass production to bigboys who can afford losing $$$.quality over quantity.could be reality if VW were to sell the brand.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Garage
Ducati has never shied away from being different. If they do it, they should do a 250 and or 450ish L-twin and definitely have a dual-sport version. Or how about a desmodromic 2-stroke?

2012 Hypermotard 1100 EVO SP
2017 Z125 Pro 2017 KLX 140L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode