Monster weight - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By SP3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2017, 4:06 pm Thread Starter
SP3

Monster weight

the dopey things ex-racers (still in contact with friends who haven't yet escaped) do......

full (full, full) tank.

why? why not? borrowed the set to check the corner weights on the FFR MkIII Roadster I helped my bro in law build a few years back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scale 001.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	647.7 KB
ID:	810513   Click image for larger version

Name:	scale.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	696.0 KB
ID:	810521  

1991 851 SP3
1966 250 Monza
1999 Moster 900 City (not so much City anymore)

appearing to appear to know what I know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2017, 4:38 pm

Sorry sp3 I am not used to reading this type of scale I will assume it was 424lbs read in the upper right corner? I have threatened to pick up something like this sort of a weight dyno (as long as I do not have to step on it).

I would have expected it a little lighter with your aftermarket exhaust but it is a real world number newer bikes are not much lighter almost 20 years later.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2017, 5:26 pm Thread Starter
SP3

There are four pads (car scales). Since I am alone for the next couple days, three pads were used for the photo with the third under the side stand. Total is the upper right most corner.

For (car) road racing, the chassis would be generally set 'square' - LF/RF weights the same, LR/RR the same. Easy on a single-seater, less so on a GT car. On ovals, the LF and RR would be (statically) set with some extra weight jacked onto them to help turn the car.

As for the bike, it's mostly stock (some DP carbon bits, Remus/DP mufflers) with a tail chop. But, it also has a nice new (still heavy) AGM battery (15.4 lbs) and 180 rear instead of the 170 it came with and it's not a nice light sport tire. So, it's all likely a wash.

I borrowed them so I can check the corner weights on my bro-in-law's Cobra rep. When I set up the suspension, I got it close (I think) by feel while I got the caster/camber/toe/ride height/rake/tilt spot on. It's driven extremely well (he can't feel anything) but, I've always wanted to see just where the weights ended up. So, called my peoples and here I am. Hoping the get them set up in his garage (no slope; easy starting point) in the next day or two.

1991 851 SP3
1966 250 Monza

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2017, 6:52 pm
Retired Pipe Polisher

Garage
Just about right. I weighed my S2R1000 at 420 with a full tank. Most weight reduction came from the exhaust and battery.

Mike
2006 999, 2007 S2R1000
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2017, 7:03 pm
Old Cafe Racer in Northern Oz

I just use one scale and a block of wood the same height under the other wheel, swapping it around and then adding the two readings together.
No need for a third set under the side stand, just hold the bike steady and read off the weight, that way I get the true F/R split.

Just for interest my Cagiva Mito 125cc 2-stroke goes F65kg, R65kg for a total 130kg, 50/50 F/R spilt.

The old Triumph Daytona cafe racer came in heavy at F65kg, R78kg, total 143kg 45/54 F/R split.

The Yamaha SR500 cafe racer cruised in at F65kg, R65kg total 130kg, 50/50 F/R split, surprisingly the same as the little Mito.

Guess I'm just as anal about these things as you are.
Either that or else I have too much time on my hands
I have no idea why today's bikes with all the modern light weight materials available are so bloody heavy. If I can build them this light then so can the factories.
I removed 33kg from the Yamaha from the factory weight.

Adding power makes you faster down the straights, adding lightness makes you faster everywhere... Colin Chapman.

2000 853, 2007 Cagiva Mito, 1980 ultra lightweight Yamaha SR500 Cafe Racer.
1967 500cc Triumph Daytona cafe racer: Listen to this old girl fly.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmwc...ature=youtu.be
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2017, 7:13 pm
Average Weird Guy.

Garage
LOL!

I casually glanced at the weight reading in the upper right corner of your second pic SP3 when my eyebrows shot straight up and I literally did a double take.

I saw the 424T and thought WTF 424 tons! Holy smokes either somebody was sticking a foot on the scales when he wasn't looking or I'm looking at photographic proof of the heaviest fully fueled Monster ever in like the entire history of ever.

Thanks for the clarification.

'95 900SS CR affectionately known as "The Pizza Wagon"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2017, 8:57 pm Thread Starter
SP3

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy.j View Post
I just use one scale and a block of wood the same height under the other wheel, swapping it around and then adding the two readings together.
No need for a third set under the side stand, just hold the bike steady and read off the weight, that way I get the true F/R split.

Just for interest my Cagiva Mito 125cc 2-stroke goes F65kg, R65kg for a total 130kg, 50/50 F/R spilt.

The old Triumph Daytona cafe racer came in heavy at F65kg, R78kg, total 143kg 45/54 F/R split.

The Yamaha SR500 cafe racer cruised in at F65kg, R65kg total 130kg, 50/50 F/R split, surprisingly the same as the little Mito.

Guess I'm just as anal about these things as you are.
Either that or else I have too much time on my hands
I have no idea why today's bikes with all the modern light weight materials available are so bloody heavy. If I can build them this light then so can the factories.
I removed 33kg from the Yamaha from the factory weight.

Adding power makes you faster down the straights, adding lightness makes you faster everywhere... Colin Chapman.
Only used the three because A) I had them and B) couldn't take the photo while balancing on two. I did do so, however, and found it 1 lb heavy to the rear. Would like it more forward but, it is what it is.

I agree with your questioning the weight of modern bikes (and even more so, cars). NOTHING is as light as it should be, in my mind. 20 bloody 17 and a two seat, nigh on $1M, carbon this, titanium that, magnesium the other, sports car shouldn't weight more than 2800 lbs (talking to you, Porsche 918). Chapman was a boyhood hero of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoshmonster View Post
LOL!

I casually glanced at the weight reading in the upper right corner of your second pic SP3 when my eyebrows shot straight up and I literally did a double take.

I saw the 424T and thought WTF 424 tons! Holy smokes either somebody was sticking a foot on the scales when he wasn't looking or I'm looking at photographic proof of the heaviest fully fueled Monster ever in like the entire history of ever.

Thanks for the clarification.
It could be a tad lighter.....

1991 851 SP3
1966 250 Monza

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2017, 9:00 pm Thread Starter
SP3

DuckMan likes this.

1991 851 SP3
1966 250 Monza

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode