Stop the press : NEW Ducati Supersport (S) for 2017 ? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 320 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2016, 9:51 am Thread Starter

Stop the press : NEW Ducati Supersport (S) for 2017 ?

Wait, what ?
Straight from WDW 2016 :

Yeah, that's a 'shoppped image alright IMO, notice the "RS" font in the background clipping through that person's hair, plus, when did Ducati ever unveil a new model at WDW ? plus, how come in this day and age "spy" photos are still so friggin' blurry ?
Besides, i see no reason for a new SS to be made, i mean, you have the 1299/959, what would a new sportbike in their range accomplish ? And since it wouldn't be an air-cooled one (obviously)...It'd just cannibalize sales from the 1299/959...

Thoughts ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 320 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2016, 10:50 am
shark wrangler

I can't speak to the legitimacy of the photo or the release but my opinion does differ from yours on the need and outcome of a more comfortable and manageable sportbike; IMO the panigale has been a disaster for guys who want a sportbike for everyday use, and many of us, myself included, have backed away from Ducati after dipping our toes in the pani cesspool. A more relaxed Ducati sportbike with with better low end power would interest me very much. That does not take away from Panigale sales in any way because I wouldnt consider buying one but just might buy an SS if were done right.

I do believe that a new more practical but still extremely powerful SS would be welcome addition to the Ducati line. They could even make different versions like they do with the Multi - Sport version, touring version, commuter version. I think it could work.

Link to all of my bikes and builds: *Click!*
post #3 of 320 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2016, 11:01 am

I liked psyopper's idea in the other thread about this that he started -- a new SS based on the Scrambler. Especially now that the Monster and the HyperMotard have both gone watercooled 4V, a new SS like that would rock. Make two sizes -- 800 with the Scrambler engine, 1100 with the aircooled 2V from the last gen of Monster/HM.

PhilB
cb4265 and steveb64 like this.

1993 Ducati Monster M900, 259K miles (so far)
post #4 of 320 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2016, 11:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Classico View Post
Wait, what ?
Straight from WDW 2016 :

Yeah, that's a 'shoppped image alright IMO, notice the "RS" font in the background clipping through that person's hair, plus, when did Ducati ever unveil a new model at WDW ? plus, how come in this day and age "spy" photos are still so friggin' blurry ?
Besides, i see no reason for a new SS to be made, i mean, you have the 1299/959, what would a new sportbike in their range accomplish ? And since it wouldn't be an air-cooled one (obviously)...It'd just cannibalize sales from the 1299/959...

Thoughts ?
Making false assumptions, and you re wrong.
Ducati unveiled the Scrambler at the last wdw 2 years ago, behind close doors, just like this one.
Ducati also announced last week they would show 2 bikes at this year wdw, one of the current lineup with a 90yo livery, and one brand new bike from the 2017 lineup would be shown, again behind close doors where pictures are forbidden...
And I know people there right now who saw it...

As for the RS in the background, supeRSport.
post #5 of 320 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2016, 12:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chouch View Post
Ducati unveiled the Scrambler at the last wdw 2 years ago, behind close doors, just like this one.
Ducati also announced last week they would show 2 bikes at this year wdw, one of the current lineup with a 90yo livery, and one brand new bike from the 2017 lineup would be shown, again behind close doors where pictures are forbidden...

So what's the word then? If you've spoke to people who saw it... engine Air cooled or liquid?

Also what a weird fairing. Hard to tell where it ends and tank begins...

2002 998 SBK _ 2004 SS1000 _ 2007 GT1000
post #6 of 320 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2016, 12:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatidoc View Post
So what's the word then? If you've spoke to people who saw it... engine Air cooled or liquid?
From a friend who is there: "I just saw the new Ducati Supersport S. Panigale looks, 937 motor, single side swing arm, a little more upright position. Really cool! The Engineer told they are working on a tour package." So looks like watercooled, from the same family of engines that powers most of the current lineup.

PhilB

1993 Ducati Monster M900, 259K miles (so far)
post #7 of 320 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2016, 12:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chouch View Post

Ok then, i'll happily eat some crow - or my...hat, like John D. Rockerduck.

i was mostly going by the blurry quality of the pic and the "RS" (from the "supeRSport", yeah) bleeding into the pic like i said in my 1st post.
After seeing hundreds of spy pics/shitty renders etc you cannot but remain skeptical most of the time, you know what they say, "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice..."

Back to the SS : I'm still baffled as to why Ducati would actually spend money on the R&D of this thing, again, it doesn't make (much) sense as the 1299/959 are the "to go" options if you want an SS/SBK made from Ducati, it'd make more sense IMO to produce - say - a new ST, sure, there's already the MTS1200 but a new ST would fill that gap for those that don't want a tall, 250Kg adventure-looking bike but a "sporty" looking one which can produce some nice trq down low and is also more "travel-worthy" - look at KTM and the new SD 1290 GT, plus, people have been asking for one (as anecdotal as it may sound).
A new SS though ? I understand what good ol' FlyingB. is saying but...sport bikes have always been uncomfortable (especially Ducatis), in my opinion, SS's and "comfort" are 2 different things and they don't go hand in hand.

Also if this is air-cooled (which i don't think since stricter emission regulations/Euro4/etc have made air-cooled engines go the way of the Dodo...it'd be an expensive air-cooled one, if it's a 4V liquid-cooled one...i still don't understand gents where it'd sit in their current sport bike lineup, both from a n hp/power/CC standpoint - but most importantly - on its "purpose" one, meaning, what would the demographic for this bike be ? Those who want a sport/SS bike with a more "relaxed" upright riding position/ergos and...that's it ? Honest question boys...

...unless...there's going to be the "SS" and a "SS Strada"/SS T(ouring) down the line to also cater to people that want a sport-touring one

Cheerio

Last edited by Rosso Classico; Jul 1st, 2016 at 12:46 pm.
post #8 of 320 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2016, 12:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoncer View Post
From a friend who is there: "I just saw the new Ducati Supersport S. Panigale looks, 937 motor, single side swing arm, a little more upright position. Really cool! The Engineer told they are working on a tour package." So looks like watercooled, from the same family of engines that powers most of the current lineup.

PhilB
Boy, if this isn't a new Supersport, I don't know what is. I doubt this is a PhotoShop exercise; if so, they should hire the person who did it, as he/she is obviously great at design! No, this looks like a bootleg photo taken at WDW 2016. For me (and, I suspect many others) this could be the answer to prayers. For those of us who like good motorcycle design, this is the anti-Adventure bike.
oalvarez, Zoomie, F1_nut and 1 others like this.
post #9 of 320 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2016, 12:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Classico View Post
Ok then, i'll happily eat some crow - or my...hat, like John D. Rockerduck.

i was mostly going by the blurry quality of the pic and the "RS" (from the "supeRSsport" bleeding like i said in my 1st post.After seeing hundreds of spy pics/shitty renders etc you cannot but remain skeptical most of the time, you know what they say, "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice..."

Back to the SS : I'm still baffled as to why Ducati would actually spend money on the R&D of this thing, again, it doesn't make (much) sense as the 1299/959 are the "to go" options if you want an SS/SBK made from Ducati, it'd make more sense IMO to produce - say - a new ST, sure, there's already the MTS1200 but a new ST would fill that gap for those that don't want a tall, 250Kg adventure-looking bike but a "sporty" looking one which can produce some nice trq down low and is also more "travel-worthy" - look at KTM and the new SD 1290 GT, plus, people have been asking for one (as anecdotal as it may sound).
A new SS though ? I understand what good ol' FlyingB. is saying but...sport bikes have always been uncomfortable (especially Ducatis), in my opinion, SS's and "comfort" are 2 different things and they don't go hand in hand.

Also if this is air-cooled (which i don't think since stricter emission regulations/Euro4/etc have made air-cooled engines go the way of the Dodo...it'd be an expensive air-cooled one, if it's a 4V liquid-cooled one...i still don't understand gents where it'd sit in their current sport bike lineup, both from a n hp/power/CC standpoint - but most importantly - on its "purpose" one, meaning, what would the demographic for this bike be ? Those who want a sport/SS bike with a more "relaxed" riding position/ergos ? Honest question...

Cheerio
Rosso,

You don't understand where a bike like this would fit in Ducati's lineup? Really? I owned an SS for 15 years and loved it; it had all the performance needed on the road, looked great and was plenty comfortable once bar risers were installed. I don't want a Panigale (too committed a riding position and too much heat), or a Multistrada (too tall, too ugly) or a Monster (insufficient wind protection). A new SS could be the "mama bear" in the lineup - just right for most street riding.
post #10 of 320 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2016, 1:32 pm

It's all over twitter now. Asphalt and rubber verified it too on twitter as "real".

I see ohlins and radial brembos. Really, really bummed they used the half frame from the monster vs a full trellis.

2002 998 SBK _ 2004 SS1000 _ 2007 GT1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode