Bug guts/splatter and paint - corrosion ? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2016, 11:04 am Thread Starter

Bug guts/splatter and paint - corrosion ?

Man, fook bugs, these things have evolved into Giger's Aliens or something : Was cleaning my bike today after a short trip i took the other day and i noticed that as soon as i removed the dead bugs from my bikini fairing, the yellow-ish residue/spots just wouldn't budge from the plastic housing even after washing it - thank God it didn't corrode the sides of my tank (had dead bugs/splatter over there too).

So, i take it that bug guts/residue/splatter is corrosive when it comes to paint, eh ? Here's my question though gents : does it behave the same on every kind o paint ? My bike has a matte white (pearl white) finish - are bug guts still corrosive with - say - normal finishes/paint that have a hard clear coat (on top of the color) ?
Can something be done about it and also, any ways to prevent this ?

Kinda funny, had the bike for 5 years, toured many times on it, performed bug genocide(s) many times before but...this is the 1st time i noticed damage on my paint, what the heck...

Thanks in advance gents
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2016, 11:22 am

I've noticed certain bugs are more corrosive to the clear coat or paint on a bike or car than others.

What kind of bug is the most corrosive? I have no idea as I only get to see them inside out.

You should see all the little pits on the front of an old '86 Kawasaki I have. I have between 65,000 and 70,000 miles on it and it got put away wet too many times.

'95 M900, '87 750 F1b, '95 GL1500, '06 620/800 MiniStrada...
I think my heart valves are desmodromically activated...
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2016, 12:18 pm

Garage
Maybe part of the problem is that as the clearcoat ages it gets less able to easily shed the bug guts?

Nice thing about bikes is that quality paint work is a lot more affordable than for cars.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 82 Maxim 550 (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2016, 11:48 pm

Wax the bike (NOT THE TIRES!) it will help prevent this kinds of issues

I don't want to sound like a dick, but I once told someone to wax the bike and he fucking ArmorAlled the tires!!

a motorcycle with 2 wheels
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2016, 3:10 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the replies and sorry for the late response.

Again, maybe it's the type of the clear coat used specifically in this case (arctic/matte white), maybe it's the ag(e)ing of it like Davek said, maybe some bug's guts are indeed more corrosive than others...maybe - fuck if i know

Haven't tried it yet but maybe some polishing paste for plastics could work with some buffing perhaps ?

Again, i know this sounds stupid as - yes - out toys are meant to be ridden and not to be put into a display showcase, still, this is weird as it's not like the first time i rode outside of town, from what i remember though, all the other times i'd have performed bug genocide i made sure to clean the bike after the ride, this time not so much as i left my bike in the garage sitting for 2 days with all the gunk on - maybe what happened was that all that slime/guts etc got "baked" on the paint after sitting for so long ? Anyway...

Thanks
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2016, 7:19 pm

Garage
Yep, Bug guts are corrosive. Like said, keep it clean and waxed to prevent. I recently clayed and put AMMO Skin on my Hyper. Sure looks purdy now. Larry from AMMO also has a ton of info videos with beautiful cars on youtube. I've learned more about care car than I'll ever do but I love watching his videos!
Rosso Classico likes this.

08 Hyper 1100
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2016, 7:38 am
shark wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Classico View Post
Thanks guys for the replies and sorry for the late response.

Again, maybe it's the type of the clear coat used specifically in this case (arctic/matte white), maybe it's the ag(e)ing of it like Davek said, maybe some bug's guts are indeed more corrosive than others...maybe - fuck if i know

Haven't tried it yet but maybe some polishing paste for plastics could work with some buffing perhaps ?

Again, i know this sounds stupid as - yes - out toys are meant to be ridden and not to be put into a display showcase, still, this is weird as it's not like the first time i rode outside of town, from what i remember though, all the other times i'd have performed bug genocide i made sure to clean the bike after the ride, this time not so much as i left my bike in the garage sitting for 2 days with all the gunk on - maybe what happened was that all that slime/guts etc got "baked" on the paint after sitting for so long ? Anyway...

Thanks
well, you just hit the nail on the head - you didn't mention in your first post that you are dealing with a flat color...

The way a flat finish is created is by using a very porous and uneven drying chemical additive that creates surface dips and spikes and holes that reflects the light in different directions. Those dips and spikes and holes allow liquids to penetrate and things that dry can solidly grip the "keyed" surface. That means that you will have stains that are impossible to remove. It also means that if you knock all of those dips and spikes down with a polish you will loose the flat finish and it will begin to get shiny. So constant cleaning/buffing will ruin your matt paint.

Glossy finishes have a flat solid surface that seals out liquids and resists stuck-on stuff - and with wax its even easier to remove tar, bugs, stains etc.

I'm afraid stains, sap, road tar and bug guts are a part of having a flat finish. Sooner or later you will have to do something about it (like stripping the part and refinishing) because the porosity will allow chemicals and liquids to eventually reach the metal and cause damage.

Flat finishes suck...

Link to all of my bikes and builds: *Click!*

Last edited by flynbulldog; Mar 17th, 2016 at 7:50 am.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2016, 7:57 am

Try S100 special surfaces cleaner, it doesn't add gloss to the finish.

2010 SF, 2011 M796- wife's
A few other and many gone and still missed
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2016, 8:30 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbulldog View Post
well, you just hit the nail on the head - you didn't mention in your first post that you are dealing with a flat color...

The way a flat finish is created is by using a very porous and uneven drying chemical additive that creates surface dips and spikes and holes that reflects the light in different directions. Those dips and spikes and holes allow liquids to penetrate and things that dry can solidly grip the "keyed" surface. That means that you will have stains that are impossible to remove. It also means that if you knock all of those dips and spikes down with a polish you will loose the flat finish and it will begin to get shiny. So constant cleaning/buffing will ruin your matt paint.

Glossy finishes have a flat solid surface that seals out liquids and resists stuck-on stuff - and with wax its even easier to remove tar, bugs, stains etc.

I'm afraid stains, sap, road tar and bug guts are a part of having a flat finish. Sooner or later you will have to do something about it (like stripping the part and refinishing) because the porosity will allow chemicals and liquids to eventually reach the metal and cause damage.

Flat finishes suck...

Thanks Flying for the in-depth reply, i really appreciate it my good man
Yeah, guessed that the pearl-white finish/paint was at fault here (and also leaving the bug gunk sitting for 2 straight days on it), should have cleaned it like i always used to after each out of town ride.
it's not that visible but just knowing that the stains are there...it just pisses me off
Again, thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojodog View Post
Try S100 special surfaces cleaner, it doesn't add gloss to the finish.
Thank you Mojo for the suggestion but i'm not situated in the good ol' US of A, does anyone from Euro-land know the equivalent of said product ?

Again, thanks everybody for the tips.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2016, 9:22 am

Flynbulldog is right about a lot of it but a few other things to consider...

Matte paint nowadays as opposed to when it first appeared on the market is now quite popular and there are more options for maintenance. There are car washes and sealants formulated to protect and clean the finish with no waxes, silicones or other detrimental chemicals. With the stuff you are describing you may be able to soak the bug residue out. I have a bike paint shop so have seen it before. White is the worst color because you absolutely see everything. Sometimes you may get chips, etc., that are quite small that leave dark marks you see. Same as with a normal gloss clear.

Honestly, I used to hate flat clear. I could never find anything that was consistent enough for my work to my liking but I would still use it when customers requested it. Last year I was given the opportunity to work on a special project requiring multiple sets of fairings and they wanted matte clear over black so I played around with the latest offerings. I do not know what Ducati uses for their clears but given their association with Audi and Mercedes I would think they have access to or use something very similar to the clear I am now using. PPG Global D8115. This stuff is amazing. Hey, it's good enough for the Lamborghini Aventador... Smooth and consistent every time.

I do not know about chemicals penetrating the clear and into the metal. Honestly, that seems a stretch unless we are talking something corrosive. But even it that is true you shouldn't need to worry. Decals do not stick very well to basecoat. For best results, OEMs clearcoat base colors first with normal clear and then sand down, apply decals and then put the matte finish over everything. So you still have a layer regular clear under the matte clear. Not to mention that for best results with a matte finish, you need a glassy smooth surface and basecoat by itself does not give you that. I'm sure most people who do "custom paint" don't bother with these extra steps. Case in point, I do paint work for EBR. There is a new bike color that will be unveiled today or tomorrow that is a matte finish and I use the same process. The prototype that was originally painted elsewhere and made the rounds at the Cycle World shows this past season was not painted that way and compared to what we have now it feels like sandpaper with the matte applied directly over basecoat. Even Ducati's regular gloss parts have at least two rounds of clear so I wouldn't worry about it in that regard. If you were having a shop repaint your parts I would make sure they are doing the job properly first. Matte clears don't go on as heavy as standard clears. No OEM is going to release production parts with a warranty unless it was done right.

1998/1999 Ex-Frankie Chili/Anthony Gobert 996RS
2002 998s 2005 999 RS project in 6,739 pieces...
2006 999 Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode