Any Good Riding in OH? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Ducati Motorcycle Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 11:19 pm   #1 (permalink)

Any Good Riding in OH?

So I'm considering the possibility of moving to central Ohio from my current home in the Seattle Area.

The Puget Sound region is, IMO, really fantastic for riding - mountains, desert, good roads; and if you get bored head north or south.

My expectation for central Ohio is well......if you pull it up on Google Earth and do the topo overlay, it seems sort of uninspiring.

Can anyone out there talk me away from the ledge about the riding situation for that area? For example - Deal's Gap looks to be about 500 mi away - that is about what I ride in a good day loop out here. Is there good riding in Ohio - do you have to go south to KY, TN, WV, NC? I've heard great stories about those areas, but always been too far to give it a try.

I spent a lot of time in the mid-West but it was all pre-motorcycle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 11:27 pm   #2 (permalink)
Still needs a life.

I hope you like high humidity.
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 12:24 am   #3 (permalink)

where in Ohio? If you go toward West Virginia there is some good stuff. but if your serious about this face it your not going to find as good of riding in Ohio as in Seattle plain and simple. the ride to Deals Gap would be one hell of a long day if your trying to get back to Ohio in one day. even from southern Ohio. don't get me wrong you can find roads to have fun on in Ohio especially if your in the right area but as far as being a motorcycling mecca ohio is not. I currently live in San Luis Obispo, CA and the roads around here are amazing compared to northeastern Ohio where I grew up. absolutely no comparison. there are no roads around there that even come close to alot of the riding out here.
slorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 1:07 am   #4 (permalink)

Thumbs down

Nope, Nadda' Zip, Zilch. I grew up in Northeast Ohio near Akron and rode the state. Woof. Been in Colorado for years now, no comparison what-so-ever. The machines run a tad better in the near sea level enviroment in Ohio, thats about all.
Rduck851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 5:23 am   #5 (permalink)
OSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallystar View Post
So I'm considering the possibility of moving to central Ohio from my current home in the Seattle Area.

The Puget Sound region is, IMO, really fantastic for riding - mountains, desert, good roads; and if you get bored head north or south.

My expectation for central Ohio is well......if you pull it up on Google Earth and do the topo overlay, it seems sort of uninspiring.

Can anyone out there talk me away from the ledge about the riding situation for that area? For example - Deal's Gap looks to be about 500 mi away - that is about what I ride in a good day loop out here. Is there good riding in Ohio - do you have to go south to KY, TN, WV, NC? I've heard great stories about those areas, but always been too far to give it a try.

I spent a lot of time in the mid-West but it was all pre-motorcycle.
On my way to Indy ( from New England ) I went thru Southern Ohio. We found Rt78 which was amazing and rt555 which was down right scary!

Rt78 had something Ive never seen before, passing zones in corners. Parts of this road goes thru farmland that allows you to see for a few miles, even around long sweeping corners. Some of these sections we rode flat out for 20-30 min

I think a lot of the roads in the wayne National forest are like this.
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 11:21 am   #6 (permalink)

I did a ride thru there, southeastern Ohio, last year. I found some very nice roads. They may not be mountainous, but certainly entertaining. I had a great time. I prefer the 2 lane back roads, myself and usually stick to those, so this was a good area for me. I had good riding days there in Oh, WV, and Virginia on that trip. It can get Hot and Humid to say the least, But doesn't rain near as much as where you are currently located. Just for reference I live in Greenville, SC and we have great roads here near us. I still enjoyed the ride in that part of the country.

Good Luck with your decision.

Mike
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 11:52 am   #7 (permalink)

I been on two trips through rt555. JimC said it best that it is scary. It has everything possible to keep you on your toes. Sharp unmarked turns, turns coming off of blind drops, cross streets hiding behind little rises in the road. Oh ya, gravel and sand also at times. Most guys with better riding skills than me love that road, I'm not quite up to it yet. Rt78 is my speed, 676 is good also. Most of the good riding in Ohio seems to be located to the south east. I found to go from Columbus on all back roads down to Marietta and back in a day is a little over 350 miles.

You can check out www.Desmohio.com, it's the local ducati riders club for Columbus and the surrounding areas.
Rizoma fluid cups, Evoluzione clutch slave.
Traxxion fork cartridges and springs,
TPO Beast intakes. 42T rear sprocket
Wasp TMSD, Dietrich gauge brackets
Cycle Cat clip-ons, bars and rearsets.
vf1000ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 12:10 pm   #8 (permalink)
SP3

Nope, there are ZERO good roads for sportbike or sportscar action anywhere in Ohio. What roads there are that could be thought of as "good" are extremely dangerous. Stay away.

appearing to appear to know what I know.

Last edited by SP3; Oct 23rd, 2008 at 3:02 pm.
SP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 3:00 pm   #9 (permalink)
OSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP3 View Post
Nope, there are ZERO good roads for sportbike or sportscar action anywhere in Ohio. What roads there are that could be though of as "good" are extremely dangerous. Stay away.

Thats exactly what I was thinking after I posted my response. Maybe these things are best done via PM !
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 3:10 pm   #10 (permalink)
OSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by vf1000ride View Post
I been on two trips through rt555. JimC said it best that it is scary. It has everything possible to keep you on your toes. Sharp unmarked turns, turns coming off of blind drops, cross streets hiding behind little rises in the road. Oh ya, gravel and sand also at times. Most guys with better riding skills than me love that road, I'm not quite up to it yet. Rt78 is my speed, 676 is good also. Most of the good riding in Ohio seems to be located to the south east. I found to go from Columbus on all back roads down to Marietta and back in a day is a little over 350 miles.

You can check out www.Desmohio.com, it's the local ducati riders club for Columbus and the surrounding areas.
Rt555... I was warned about this road and it almost bit me hard. We approached this left hand turn that on my gps showed it to be a 90 degree corner. But the speed limit sign 15 feet from it was 55! And the road was about as wide as the desk Im typing this on! I would need to ride that one many times to feel comfortable on it.
Advertisement