MotoGP - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Ducati Motorcycle Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 3:25 am   #1 (permalink)

MotoGP

Capirossi wins opener

Italian Loris Capirossi has won the MotoGP season-opening race in Spain, while defending world champion Valentino Rossi crashed on the first corner.

Capirossi rode a superb race to win in 45 minutes 57.733 seconds, from local hope Daniel Pedrosa (46:02.108), who became the first debutante to finish on the podium in eight years, and American Nicky Hayden (46:07.729).

Australian Casey Stoner finished sixth in his debut MotoGP race for Honda.

Rossi had a nightmare start, sliding off the track on the first bend after he was clipped by Spaniard Toni Elias, but he got back on his back and managed to finish 14th.

"Elias took off as if it was the last race of the season and not the first," Rossi told AFP.

"I had a great start and I could have gone faster, then I felt a bump and fell. It happens. Toni made a mistake and I hope it's the last time."

"Today I could have made the podium. I started well and I got into a good rhythm straight away."

It is the first time in six years that Rossi has not won the season-opening race.

Elias went on to finish fourth, while Marco Melandri was fifth. Sete Gibernau was denied a challenge for the podium by his Ducati's engine, which broke down on the third lap while he was in second position.

Spanish MotoGP results:
1. Loris Capirossi (Italy) Ducati 45:57.733
2. Daniel Pedrosa (Spain) Honda 46:02.108
3. Nicky Hayden (USA) Honda 46:07.729
4. Toni Elias (Spain) Honda 46:07.868
5. Marco Melandri (Italy) Honda 46:17.280
6. Casey Stoner (Australia) Honda 46:18.970
7. Shinya Nakano (Japan) Kawasaki 46:19.105
8. Kenny Roberts Jr. (USA) KR211V 46:30.147
9. John Hopkins (USA) Suzuki 46:30.392
10. Makoto Tamada (Japan) Honda 46:33.716
--xXXx-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 6:11 am   #2 (permalink)
You Want Me To Moderate What?

it was as shocking of a season opener as the Soprano's this year!
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 6:52 am   #3 (permalink)
Moderator, Do not mess with!

This must the first race in like.. forever.. that Rossi hasen┤t finished top 10 and not broken the race.

//amullo
Former bikes: -97 748SP, -98 916SPS, -04 BMW F650CS
amullo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 3:55 pm   #4 (permalink)

Rossi out in first lap

It was a real disappointment to not see Rossi in the race. I always cheer him on and have been a fan of his for some time. But ... if he had not been t-boned by Elias, I would not have expected him to win the first race. He was in the third row for the start and though Valentino is a very talented rider, I don't think he had the equipment to win. Not that he isn't capable, but Ducati has a sweet package this year.

Ducati has really "upped the ante" this year with an unbelievably fast package being piloted by Loris Capirossi (three cheers for Ducati!). I think we will be seeing lots of podium's with Loris up in the top two. It will be a great year for Ducati if they keep up the pace as they have in this first race.

Yeah, it was a surprising race 1. Let's hope everyone is in for the show at round 2 in Valencia.

1998 916
jmastrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 4:10 pm   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmastrol
Ducati has really "upped the ante" this year with an unbelievably fast package being piloted by Loris Capirossi (three cheers for Ducati!). I think we will be seeing lots of podium's with Loris up in the top two. It will be a great year for Ducati if they keep up the pace as they have in this first race.
Maybe Ducati has upped the ante this year, but that race was no demonstration of great speed.

05 Jerez winner:Rossi 45'43.156
06 Jerez winner:Capirossi 45'57.733
(Both races run under similar conditions)

So, this unbelievably fast package took about 0.5 seconds longer to get around Jerez than the M1 did a year ago. Is everyone slower or was Capirossi just hiding something and toying with Pedrosa? Time will tell.

I hope Nicky get that new Honda in order soon. Sure, Pedrosa was on last years bike, but it still couldn't have been easy watching the rookie teammate pull away so easily.

Tony

Tony
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 4:19 pm   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
It was a real disappointment to not see Rossi in the race. I always cheer him on and have been a fan of his for some time.
Yeah I was kinda looking forward to Rossi going head to head with Pedrosa actully. I don't know about experience or talent, but I think Dani can match Rossi mentally (vs. like a Gibernau or Biaggi). But I think Rossi even admitted that Loris was in control the whole weekend so it would have been a tough battle even if he didn't crash out.

That's awesome that Capirossi and Ducati came out swinging in the first round, but you know- I'm REALLY starting to feel bad for Sete now...man...worst luck ever...
red_ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 4:35 pm   #7 (permalink)

We need to all cheer on Sete. He's a Ducati rider now.

NESBA #96 (I)
1998 Aprilia RS250
1998 Honda RS125
grendels_arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 4:56 pm   #8 (permalink)
SP3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthsideDuc
Maybe Ducati has upped the ante this year, but that race was no demonstration of great speed.

05 Jerez winner:Rossi 45'43.156
06 Jerez winner:Capirossi 45'57.733
(Both races run under similar conditions)

So, this unbelievably fast package took about 0.5 seconds longer to get around Jerez than the M1 did a year ago. Is everyone slower or was Capirossi just hiding something and toying with Pedrosa? Time will tell.

I hope Nicky get that new Honda in order soon. Sure, Pedrosa was on last years bike, but it still couldn't have been easy watching the rookie teammate pull away so easily.

Tony

Tony
And your observation is no demonstation either because Capi was not pushed much for most of the race and one only needs to go as fast as needed to win. So, the race to race elapsed time means little in this instance. Had Pedrosa been on his tail throughout the race the race pace would have been much different.

Edit! After posting and re-reading this thread, my opening sentance reads a little shitty sounding (to me). Please don't take it that way.
SP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 5:56 pm   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
But ... if he had not been t-boned by Elias, I would not have expected him to win the first race. He was in the third row for the start and though Valentino is a very talented rider, I don't think he had the equipment to win. .
Yes he started on the the 3rd row, but he was running in 3rd when he got punted.

That's racing but he will avoid Elias in future.. Rossi has regularly just settled into 2nd or 3rd for quite a few laps then once he passes he has the widest bike on the track.

I like Sete, but I don't feel he will do any better than his predecessors.

Come on Casey and Chris V

Mal
mals900ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 6:34 pm   #10 (permalink)

All these guys can strap a friken jet engine to their ass and they still can't beat Rossi. How many times have we heard about this rider and that rider that can match Rossi's talent and in the end it's just hipe. Don't get me wrong, I really really hope that I'm completly off the mark and that Rossi finally gets some competition. It would really energize moto GP. The chances of two Jordan's, or Pele's at one time are slim to none. Rossi will still win the moto GP this year and every year until he gets bored.
Bombash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement