Adding acid / setting up new Yuasa battery. - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Motorcycle Forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Ducati Motorcycle Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 6:52 pm   #1 (permalink)

Adding acid / setting up new Yuasa battery.

Hello all, i need to install a new battery in my bike. Ive got the batt, and ive got a box of acid. I just want to make sure i follow the right procedures charging it the first time.

Is it as simple as adding acid and putting on a trickle charge, or is there more to is? Thanks!
gotime242 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 1st, 2008, 7:19 pm   #2 (permalink)

Ugh...I remember those days of working at a dealership: New guy filled batteries with acid. Boy was I happy to have some seniorrity soon after starting!

Yep. That's all I used to do. Make sure to fill to the line in each cell (if more than one...usually there is) and place on charger.

Oh, don't get any on you and do it outside or somewhere AWAY from anything you treasure!

Dana
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 7:22 pm   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotime242 View Post
Hello all, i need to install a new battery in my bike. Ive got the batt, and ive got a box of acid. I just want to make sure i follow the right procedures charging it the first time.

Is it as simple as adding acid and putting on a trickle charge, or is there more to is? Thanks!
Yes. Throw the damn thing away and get a sealed cell battery such as the 2001 or later Ducatis all have. I've done it with all of my old Ducs and I have never looked back.

Also....always nice if you tell the peeps just what model you have, yes ?

71 bevel desmo speciale ( in process )
93 888 SPO ( license #46 WLF )
94 M-900
02 ST4s
67 Norton P-11 Flat tracker for dedicated terror on the streets of Los Angeles ( license NOBRAKE) !
bevel450 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 9:56 pm   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:

If you do keep this battery be sure to wear gloves and goggles when handling the acid. You should be able to look up the MSDS for the acid on the mfr web site.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 12:27 am   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevel450 View Post
Yes. Throw the damn thing away and get a sealed cell battery such as the 2001 or later Ducatis all have. I've done it with all of my old Ducs and I have never looked back.
Don't you still have to fill the sealed batteries... but use a "sealing strip" (for lack of proper term) instead of the screw caps?
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 6:34 am   #6 (permalink)

I just purchased this battery several weeks ago. I didn't realize they still made these types of batteries and the description never said anything about adding battery acid.

I still don't know if I'm going to put it it my bike. I'm concerned that the acid will leak out in the event of a crash ruining a host of other components.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 7:07 am   #7 (permalink)

Yep, been doing it for years on a couple older bikes. Add acid to the upper fill line, charge it overnight, top off the cells (if needed, some will evaporate) then cap 'em and plug it in. Be super careful not to spill it.
After using it for a while (months), inspect the fluid levels and top off with DISTILLED WATER ONLY, do not add more acid.

Bevel450, I didn't think the battery tray on older bikes would fit the newer sealed batteries, or rather the other way around. Otherwise yes, I would switch to a sealed gel on my '95 SS. Please tell me I am wrong.

Bella749, my Harleys had gel batteries and I never had to fill or even charge a new one, it came ready to go.
71 Kawasaki H1 (SOLD!)
71 Honda CL175 Maroon
74 Yamaha RS100 Yamaha Racing Green (SOLD!)
93 H-D Sportster 883 (R.I.P)
Tylerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 3:14 pm   #8 (permalink)

If your using a glass matt battery (which is what most of the superbikes and newer ducatis use)...the acid goes into the matt fibers and the battery can not leak once it sets up....then you push that tab strip down over the cells and you got a maint free battery. The bennefit of this battery vs some of the "gel" types is weight. The glass matt battery is pretty light compared to those. Just use a good battery charger and charge per the instruction & make sure you get the correct voltage reading at full charge.

I replaced a batt in my 999 a few months back...and the simple answer is it is as simple as that. Insert the acid pack, let drain, cap off , then charge. Think mine was a Yuasa YT12B-BS or somthing like that, it was easy.

Quote:

Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 3:24 pm   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by level7 View Post
I just purchased this battery several weeks ago. I didn't realize they still made these types of batteries and the description never said anything about adding battery acid.

I still don't know if I'm going to put it it my bike. I'm concerned that the acid will leak out in the event of a crash ruining a host of other components.
If your Yuasa battery is anything like the one I bought for my ST4s about 3 years ago, the process is foolproof. The acid is in separate, sealed, plastic, syringe-like containers. The instructions tell you to simply put the acid containers into the holes on the top of the battery. Once aligned, you push down and the seals break, allowing the acid to flow in. The acid containers are opaque, so you can watch the acid flow into the battery from each container. When all the containers are empty, you carefully remove them and seal the battery with the provided strip. You then put the battery on a charger for 24 hours.

2013 GREY Multistrada 1200s GT
2013 Matt Graphite Triumph Scrambler 900
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.