Powder coating a gas tank? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Ducati Motorcycle Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 6:28 pm   #1 (permalink)

Powder coating a gas tank?

Went to a local bike night last week in my neck of the woods and one of the guys asked if I was going to do anything with the bike over the winter. I mentioned that I had purchased a 749R tank, but where my S is yellow, the tank is green. The guy suggested powder coating the tank instead of painting.

Intrigued, I made some phone calls. Stripped and double coated (color and gloss), anywhere from $125-200. Painted, I am looking at $400+.

Anyone ever powder coat a gas tank and what was the end result? Other than having to bake off the powder coat for another color change, what are the possible pluses and minuses?

Thanks in advance,
Charles
kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 28th, 2007, 10:14 pm   #2 (permalink)
Bobaganoosh

Your chances of an exact match to the painted color of your bike are slim to none.

In a Michigan State University study that ranked 34 major countries by their citizens' acceptance of the theory of evolution, the United States ranked second to last (thank you, Turkey). 39% of our adult population rejects the concept.
Synergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 12:16 am   #3 (permalink)

I'll second that. In addition powdercoat isn't nearly as glossy as paint. It is more durable in a lot of uses, but even with polishing it's just not as glossy or deep looking as a good paint job.

That may or may not matter to you. On my Harley stuff it doesn't matter to me, but on my Duc it would.
SpunkytheTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 9:40 am   #4 (permalink)

I have had some wotk done on a couple of bicycles through theses guys.
Call them up they are straight shooter.
http://www.spectrumpowderworks.com/
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 8:40 pm   #5 (permalink)
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy View Post
Your chances of an exact match to the painted color of your bike are slim to none.
my '97 had at least 3 different shades of yellow on the stock bodywork
Buckelew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 9:30 pm   #6 (permalink)
Bobaganoosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckelew View Post
my '97 had at least 3 different shades of yellow on the stock bodywork
They must have painted the tanks on Monday, the fairings on Friday and everything else after the August holiday!
or the guy mixing the paint found the joy of Tito's!

In a Michigan State University study that ranked 34 major countries by their citizens' acceptance of the theory of evolution, the United States ranked second to last (thank you, Turkey). 39% of our adult population rejects the concept.
Synergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement