Help me decide!! - Monster 1000S or 900 Super Sport - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Ducati Motorcycle Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 8:54 pm   #1 (permalink)

Help me decide!! - Monster 1000S or 900 Super Sport

I have decided to take the Ducati plunge and have found two good (what I believe to be good that is) deals on two Ducati bikes:

- 2004 Monster 1000S ie with 4,900 miles fully stock. The price is $6,500.
- 1999 SuperSport 900FF with 13,000 miles, corbin seat, FSF pipes and carbon fiber clutch cover. The price is $5,000.

Both bikes are yellow and in great shape (the Monster is actually Mint with all paperwork and the SS900 is in very good condition with a couple scratches on the lower fairing and the dealer just did a full 12k service on it).

Both are great bikes and both are similar (but much superior) to two previous bikes I've owned in the past (a 1998 CBR 600F3 which I still own but will sell if I buy the Duc, and a 1986 Yamaha Fazer 700S). I just can't decide which one to buy. I don't know which one is the better deal. Since you guys are Ducati experts, can you provide me with the pros and cons of each bike and which one you think is the better deal?

Thanks!
ddicosmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 9:01 pm   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Poster Award

The better deal is the one that fits your riding needs.

bruce19
bruce19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 9:09 pm   #3 (permalink)

I should have been a bit more specific about what I'm looking for in a bike:

First of all, I really enjoy having a sportbike since I do 1 or 2 track days per year and I like the feel of a nimble bike in the twisties. However, I also use my bike in the spring, summer and fall (I live in New England) to commute to work (30-35 minutes each way). I found that my CBR600F3 was a bit uncomfortable on my commute after a while even though these bikes are not that aggressive. My lower back and wrists wound hurt after a while. So I was thinking about getting a bike with a bit more relaxed riding position (Hence the Monster). The problem is I don't want to give up the sportbike feel either. So hence my dillema. I really don't know which bike to get. I even thought about getting an ST but that may be a bit too tame for me and I still want to be able to do track days. So I guess the best thing would be to get both bikes but I can only afford one.
ddicosmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 9:11 pm   #4 (permalink)

That Monster sounds like a smokin deal. But I agree with Bruce the deal is the one that fits you better. Sounds like a few test rides are in order.
butch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 9:49 pm   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddicosmo
I have decided to take the Ducati plunge and have found two good (what I believe to be good that is) deals on two Ducati bikes:

- 2004 Monster 1000S ie with 4,900 miles fully stock. The price is $6,500.
- 1999 SuperSport 900FF with 13,000 miles, corbin seat, FSF pipes and carbon fiber clutch cover. The price is $5,000.

Both bikes are yellow and in great shape (the Monster is actually Mint with all paperwork and the SS900 is in very good condition with a couple scratches on the lower fairing and the dealer just did a full 12k service on it).

Both are great bikes and both are similar (but much superior) to two previous bikes I've owned in the past (a 1998 CBR 600F3 which I still own but will sell if I buy the Duc, and a 1986 Yamaha Fazer 700S). I just can't decide which one to buy. I don't know which one is the better deal. Since you guys are Ducati experts, can you provide me with the pros and cons of each bike and which one you think is the better deal?

Thanks!
Firstly, everything is negotiable, are those the bottom line prices on both? If from a dealer, you have not purchased, considering this is February, and that no dealer negotiates final price until you are ready to sign, I suspect either bike can be had for $500 to $700 off the price, if not more. No dealer I know of advertises bottom line, no haggle, pricing. [unless part of some promotion, but even on those sales they deal price].

That said, from a dependability standpoint, an important factor, the 2004 is the better way to go. That's practically a new bike. Maybe it still has some time on the two-year factory warranty?

However, if you can get the 1999 Supersport for $4500 or less, 13k miles is still pretty low mileage for a bike, so it may be a good deal also, the trade off being it is a 1999 versus the 2004 Monster. Keep in mind, however, that 1999 means it is a seven year old bike. That is getting old in many rider's minds and resale value may be affected [see below].

Bottom line, both can be good deals, all things considered. So that simply leaves your making a personal decision, one that no one else can make depending on what and how you want to ride, for reasons important and intimate to you.

One thing that you may want to factor in, that can tip the scales in either bike's favor, is resale value. Get the price low enough, ride the bike, and if it is not for you, simply resell it and get all your money back, or maybe a little less.

To have this option you would need to get the bike at a low enough price so that you could sell it later for little or no loss. Either bike, if you get in it right [on price] may give you the option to sell it later at no loss. [Maybe should not refer to any lesser selling price as a "loss" since you will have used the bike for at least the 2006 riding season. One should be expected to pay for that ].

I'm THE MAN, bow to me.

RotoRooterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 10:45 pm   #6 (permalink)
Still needs a life.

Quote:
I even thought about getting an ST but that may be a bit too tame for me and I still want to be able to do track days.
Get an ST! A tame bike it ain't. Remove the hard bags, raise the adjustable tailpipes to the high position, and you have a track bike. As proof, I have attached a photo of two ST4s's (not mine) doing a track day. When you are not doing track days, you have a daily commuter and a transcontinental sport touring machine.
Hey, you guys knew I was going to say that!
Attached Thumbnails
Help me decide!! - Monster 1000S or 900 Super Sport-ducatist4s.jpg  
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 5:32 am   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Poster Award

Quote:
I should have been a bit more specific about what I'm looking for in a bike:

First of all, I really enjoy having a sportbike since I do 1 or 2 track days per year and I like the feel of a nimble bike in the twisties.
Can't comment about Monsters, but the SS is not what I think of as a "nimble" bike. I'm assuming by that you mean it can be flicked around at will. My pre-98 SS's were the kind of bikes you set up for a corner and then it felt like it was on rails. But, "flickable", it was not.

bruce19
bruce19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 5:51 am   #8 (permalink)
Moderator, Do not mess with!

The Supersport seems to be the obvios choice of the two if your only going to have one bike.

But I┤d think real long and hard about the 900 engine. Sure, It┤s a great engine, but the 1000DS engine is SOOOO much nicer that it┤s scary.

The Supersport is a good bike on track, VERY nice in twisties and okey in town. But it does have some lean forward, so a commute might be abit hard if your riding in the city.

The Monster is a great commute, great twisties and moderate pace track bike. You CAN change some stuff to go faster on the track, but if you normally get a knee down, your going to be dissapointed when taking it to the track, compared to the SS.

A ST4s might be just the thing. the same engine as the Superbike 996, but with a more upright position and Íhlins suspension. This bike has a bigger "tourer" badge then it deserves. It┤s as much a touring bike as a Honda VFR. If it was a car, you would see it fit with the big GT cars like a BMW M5 and so on.

One thing to look at is the Multistrada. These bikes aren┤t really "pretty", but they are damned fun to ride. I┤ve had my ass handed to me by one multistrada rider at the track (And i consider myself pretty fast, being in the middle of the fastest group on track). They work extremly well bort in city and they where designed to do twisties. Longer rides with paniers is also among the things the bike does well.

Sorry.. I just made it worse!

Bottom line.. Try a Monster and an SS, but keep an open mind about the ST and Multistrudel.

//amullo
Former bikes: -97 748SP, -98 916SPS, -04 BMW F650CS
amullo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 6:47 am   #9 (permalink)

An SS with bar risers ans a Corbin or Sargent seat would be the better all-rounder, especially if you want to ride to work daily and do an occasional track day.

Don't discount the wind coverage from the SS full fairing versus that little fly screen on the Monster. The SS piece really works and allows effortless cruising at 70-80 MPH.

Have you looked on E-bay for a used 1000SS? My brother bought a brand new leftover 2004 last year for $9500 out-the-door, but there are also good deals on used bikes if you are patient.
rz33v4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 8:01 am   #10 (permalink)

I opted for the ST4S because of the engine, the stock suspension(on the 'S' model), the versatility and the fact its a wolf in sheeps clothing. Take a closer look at the ST line and read some more reviews. The ST4S has the 996 superbike engine tuned with slightly more torque and is anything BUT tame!!! It will do everything you mentioned you wanted in a bike!! Track days, bags on for commuting, sportbike feel.

The only problem I can see is some people say it has an aggressive riding position, more so then some current sportbikes if you look at the ergo's. It doesn't bother me a bit, but some who have commented have curred this with bar risers!

The ST4S has been discontinued and replaced with the ST3S. But you can find 02' to 05' ST4S's used all over. head over to the Sport touring forum and fire off any questions you may have they are always willing to "guide" you in the right direction.

Sorry to confuse your selection process but it sounds like you want an all rounder, and if thats the case then your looking at the wrong bikes....do some homework on the ST!
grinder96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.