Does a trailer bed have to be level? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Ducati Motorcycle Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 5:23 pm   #1 (permalink)

Does a trailer bed have to be level?

I did a quick tape measurement of the bottom of the hitch ball compared to the bottom of the coupler of the trailer. I haven't hooked it up yet but it looks like once hooked up the trailer will be 17 inches high on the front and 21 inches high on the rear. It is 8' long so it has a 4 inch tilt basically. The hitch ball thingy already has somewhat of a rise. Looks like 3-4 inches. Should I got back and ask for maybe a 6 inch lift or is the 4 inch tilt of the trailer nothing to worry about. I would think it would put more weight on the hitch that way. Also not sure when hooked up what it will be. It may end up being only 2-3 inches as my car wasn't level.

NESBA #96 (I)
1998 Aprilia RS250
1998 Honda RS125
grendels_arm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 13th, 2006, 5:54 pm   #2 (permalink)

The short answer: Always best to get the trailer to ride level, but because your trailer and bike are relatively light and the angle is not severe, you should be OK. And remember - you read that on the internet.

The long answer: It's not the angle so much as how much weight the trailer puts on the tail of the car. Even though the gross weight of the trailer can be well within your car's limits, too much weight on the hitch may cause the front end of the car to lift and that will negatively influence handling.

You need to do two things - check the tongue weight of the loaded trailer and compare that to your car's specs, if you can find them.

Park your car on level ground. Attach the the trailer to the car then measure the height of the LOADED trailer at the hitch point. Remove the trailer from the car and using a bathroom cobble up some blocks of wood to place the trailer hitch on the scale at exactly the same height it was when it was connected to the car. That's your tongue weight.

Where the weight (your bike) sits on the trailer makes a big diff. If the bike is centered over the trailer's axle, there won't be much weight on the hitch regardless of the angle. You may be able to move the bike rearward to balance the weight. Even thought the angle when attached will be the same and the gross weight will be the same, this can reduce the tongue weight.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 6:00 pm   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Poster Award

You'll be fine.
03 999R #189
09 1125CR Buell (sold)
07 1100S MTS (sold)
04 999S (sold)
95 916 (sold)
01 900SS (sold)
05 Honda 600RR (sold before I crashed it)
05 Honda 600RR (full Yosh, PC, totalled it)

Ducati-Owners-Group of Sacramento region.
John is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 6:19 pm   #4 (permalink)
Ducati.MS sponsor

If you do not have enough weight on the hitch, the trailer will weave around on the highway. It can be very dangerous at high speeds. You can lose control-- esp if you have a light tow vehicle. Do a search on Google on "trailer sway".

05 999R
01 996R
98 900SS FE
96 M944
07 1098
06 SC1000
10 Streetfighter
02 MV Agusta F4
02 ST4S
12 1199S
06 Paul Smart
moto is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 7:52 pm   #5 (permalink)

So from what I'm hearing as long as I'm within my tongue weight (it's 200 pounds for the hitch; car doesn't have specs for tonque weight) it may even be better to have more weight on the rear of the car.

So the next question then when deciding where to mount my Condor wheel chock I ordered from Motowheels is where to put it? Do I just put half the bike in front of the axle and half behind it?

The one thing I can see is this might making loading a bit more challenging as the height of the trailer will be higher in the rear and once you get on the trailer it'll be going downhill a bit.

NESBA #96 (I)
1998 Aprilia RS250
1998 Honda RS125
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 8:00 pm   #6 (permalink)

If you have a receiver type hitch, you can always get one that raises the ball.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 11:51 pm   #7 (permalink)

Re: does trailer bed have to be level

I had the same issue with my hitch on the GTI. The trailer sits lower in front than in the back when attached to the hitch. I have towed this way and have had no trouble in my particular set up. This forward tilt does pose a problem loading and unloading, however, so I purchased an adapter that I insert into the 1&1/4 inch receiver that converts it into a 2 inch receiver, as I couldn't find any tall 1&1/4 arms . Attached to this adaptor I have a much taller arm ( which can be found in the larger receiver size) and connected attachment ball which allows the front of the trailer to be higher and securely attached to the hitch FOR LOADING AND UNLOADING THE BIKE ONLY. Once I have the bike loaded I lift the trailer off this converter and put the shorter (lower) arm that came with the hitch
back in the receiver and reattach the trailer. I have found this easier than trying to back the bike "up" the trailer to get it off, and it makes the incline less acute when pushing the bike onto the trailer.
I do not leave this adaptor on when actually towing because the longer arm would exert greater torque on the receiver hitch during acceleration and deceleration. Something I don't want to test.
In terms of where to put the bike on the trailer I am not sure, but my thought would be to place the bike so that it is exerting some tongue weight (ie: not completely balanced on the axle but somewhat forward of it). The weight of the load will help to keep the trailer attached to the ball. The trailer I use comes with a preplaced chock and rail for the bike. In this configuration my bike does sit forward of the trailer's single axle when loaded so that more of the weight is in front of than behind the axle. I suppose you could overdo this: if you had a very heavy tongue weight and a very light vehicle you might take too much weight off the front wheels of the car by the downward force in the rear. When in doubt call the manufacturer, that's what they do for a living and should be able to give you a straight answer.
chimchim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 6:51 am   #8 (permalink)

You mean the manufacturer of my car? The one that says I shouldn't be towing with my vehicle at all?

Unless the hitch maker can provide some advise.

NESBA #96 (I)
1998 Aprilia RS250
1998 Honda RS125
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 7:51 am   #9 (permalink)
Moderator, Do not mess with!

As a rule of thumb..

When your trailer is loaded, you should be able to lift the trailer-coupling of the hitch using one arm only, maybe helping a little with your other arm.

We´ve had three bikes on one trailer and had absolutly no problems with this easy way of checking how much weight is taken up by the cars hitch.

And that you also read on the internet.

//amullo
amullo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 9:09 am   #10 (permalink)

I agree with Amullo, easy test is the arm lift for small trailers. (bikes,small boats,utility,etc.) You'll most definitely want it level or you will have issues loading/unloading your motorcycle. You should be able to find adaptors to readily accomodate your needs.
Another thought on the subject:
Nothing frustrates me more than waiting for a "wingnut" who doesn't have a clue how to back up a trailer, especially at boat launch ramps. So to any trailer owners out there if you can't back it up please sell it.

"But I don't want to go on the cart, I feel happy"
Monty Python
2003 BMW K1200GT
2002 Ducati 900ssie
2001 Kawasaki Concours
smegtheprez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.