Tire Pressure - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Ducati Motorcycle Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:20 am   #1 (permalink)

Tire Pressure

Do you follow the Owner’s Manual when it comes to recommendations for tire pressure or do you add a few extra pounds? If so, how much? I know some of you add pounds for track days but what do you do for daily street riding? I checked my tire pressures this morning (cold) and they were both about 10 pounds over the factory recommendations. My Ducati is a “single seater” with no provision to carry any luggage so I guess the only weight variable is my big butt. I’ve always run about 5 pounds over. Just wondering what the general consensus was.
geospencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:43 am   #2 (permalink)

I usually run my tire pressures at the recommended level on the street. If they give a high and a low (with and without passenger) I usually go with the higher to extend the mileage. Well, at least that's what I've heard... At the track you are going to want to run your tire pressures a bit "lower" than the street. This allows the tire to deform a tiny bit more to the track and also generate more heat which, with racier spec tires, is what you would want.
gpd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:50 am   #3 (permalink)

You should be running tire pressure according to the tire company's specs.

RI749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 12:21 pm   #4 (permalink)

I depends on the tire and riding... I have a 998 and I just purchased a new Metzeler Rennsport tires... Heres what I have come up with so far... I am too looking for the sweet spot of tire pressures! what do you guys think of the following?

street/canyons

Solo
----------
Front 32psi
Rear 35psi

2Up
----------
Front 32psi
Rear 38psi

Generally speaking for track days reduce by 2-3psi? Also all of this will depend on the tire manufacture... Definitely follow their recommendations...
sblea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 3:27 pm   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpd123
I usually run my tire pressures at the recommended level on the street. If they give a high and a low (with and without passenger) I usually go with the higher to extend the mileage. Well, at least that's what I've heard... At the track you are going to want to run your tire pressures a bit "lower" than the street. This allows the tire to deform a tiny bit more to the track and also generate more heat which, with racier spec tires, is what you would want.
Lower. Thanks. That makes sense. They would get warmer and stick better. On the street (haven't been on the track) I usually run my tires a few pounds over factory recommendations but I thought 10 pounds was a little much.
geospencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 3:37 pm   #6 (permalink)

Liability wise the dealer will always set your tire temps to specs. I had a bike serviced and in the warmer months I ride 33-34 rear 32-33 ft. I had the service done and noticed a cap missing on my tire ,so I asked what temps did you guys set them at and he said 40 if I remember right??? I was'nt very happy with that for one reason being I could have been caught off guard coming into a corner and been in trouble not knowing that my tires were hard as a rock.

I asked the service manager to make sure you tell a customer what your changing , especially tire pressures because those two tires are your lifeline so to speak.
hunduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 2:34 am   #7 (permalink)
Chilehead

I run at the low end of recommended pressures, and go even lower in cold weather, another 2-3 psi. I run higher pressure on hot days or if I plan to do any 2-up or highway riding.

Tom
st2lemans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 12:14 am   #8 (permalink)

Smile

typically i run 32psi front and 34psi rear, on track days i run 30psi at both ends, the reason for lower pressures on the track is mainly because you generate more heat, the more heat the more the air in the tyre expands, so if you were running street pressures when hot they would effectively be over inflated, which causes them to run hotter still contributing to accelerated wear and poor grip. they tend to get greasy when really overheated and abused. more consistent pressures equal more consistant performance from the tyre which equals more consistant lap times from the rider.( unless the rider is me, cos i'm hopeless)
loony888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 12:34 am   #9 (permalink)

On the street, I like it anywhere between 34 and 36 for either end. I start off with 36, so that I don't have to keep loading all the time

Track -- 32 each end on SuperCorsas.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 9:32 am   #10 (permalink)

I think the sidewall of my Pirelli Diablos state 41 psi when cold. I typically run my ST2 at 36 front/38 rear, whether I'm running two-up or not. On my 748, I usually run 34 front and 36 rear. Both bikes spend about 80-90% of their lives on twisty mountain roads, though......I also weigh about 250 lbs, though.
Desmo_Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement