DUCATI reliability - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Ducati Motorcycle Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 9:24 pm   #1 (permalink)
JML

DUCATI reliability

Hi everyone,

I have a question about Ducati 999.
this is my first time looking to purchase a 999 used one, I had Japanese bikes before and I am not familiar with Italian bikes.
I like to know are these bikes reliable?
what type of service intervals? are they expensive
the one I am looking to buy has 13000 miles on it.

I also would like to know the bracket of the fixture that holds up the upper fairing should it have any imprefection like not properly debured.
should it be smooth on the edges? because the bike I have interest in buying has some quality that seemed imprefected.

Please tell me what to look for on a clean bike.

Thanks

James
JML is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 24th, 2007, 9:31 pm   #2 (permalink)

I like to know are these bikes reliable? Yes

what type of service intervals? Besides oil change/basic maintenance, the main interval is every 6k miles. Needs Valve Adjustment,

are they expensive Valve Adjustment cost $500 - $700. Everything else is about the same as modern Japanese bike. Special parts cost more though.

the one I am looking to buy has 13000 miles on it. That's just getting broken in. If the previous owner maintained the bike well, you should have no problems doubling and tripling that.

I also would like to know the bracket of the fixture that holds up the upper fairing should it have any imprefection like not properly debured.
should it be smooth on the edges? because the bike I have interest in buying has some quality that seemed imprefected. Sorry, not sure what you mean here. You have to post a picture.
angie-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 9:50 pm   #3 (permalink)
Tightly Clenched...

I think the biggest misconception out there about Ducatis is that they are unreliable. If looked after properly they are just as reliable as a Japanese sportsbike.

I think the trouble stems from the late 70's and early 80's when the company was on it's last legs, electrical issues and quality control problems, but it's an entirely different company now.

The best advice is look after the bike and everything will be fine. If you buy the bike welcome to the fold.

(BTW: I've owned 4 Ducatis now, one from the 70's, one from the 80's, one from the end of the 90's and the latest is from 2002...never had a single issue with any of them...)

Last edited by Satansfist; Apr 24th, 2007 at 10:10 pm. Reason: spelling mistake
Satansfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 10:00 pm   #4 (permalink)

A H-U-G-E factor in purchasing that bike is making sure the 12k service was completed!! I would want it guaranteed that it was done, and I'd want proof...receipts, etc. These bikes like to be ridden and ridden hard. Most of the non-reliable issues as a general rule seem to be garage queens...guys that do maybe a thousand or two miles a year, at least in my experience. These babies want more than that. As mentioned, valves checked every 6k and adjusted as needed. Belts replaced every 12k. Other than that, not rocket science.

'05 749s...Termi 54mm full system, 41t sproket, DiD chain, Evoluzione fender eliminator, PCIII/custom map, Pazzo Levers, Puig DB Windscreen, Penske Shock, CRS Forks, CF everything.

www.ducati-owners-group.com

"Freedom, for those who fought for it, has a flavor the protected will never know..."
galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 10:02 pm   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Poster Award

And correct me if I'm wrong Jon, you do your own 6K adjustments and believe its not a big deal, especially on the Testastretta motor.
03 999R #189
09 1125CR Buell (sold)
07 1100S MTS (sold)
04 999S (sold)
95 916 (sold)
01 900SS (sold)
05 Honda 600RR (sold before I crashed it)
05 Honda 600RR (full Yosh, PC, totalled it)

Ducati-Owners-Group of Sacramento region.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 10:05 pm   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
And correct me if I'm wrong Jon, you do your own 6K adjustments and believe its not a big deal, especially on the Testastretta motor.

True...but Testastrettas are different amongst themselves also. The S and R motors have tapered retainers for the closer shims which requires head removal. But yea, do it myself. Openers are a piece of cake and don't require head removal. Just the closers. Base model motors have the half ring retainers like on all 2V motors and others, and don't require any special tools or facial expressions to work on them. With the exception of the S/R retainer system, doing valves on a Testastretta is easier than any 2V motor I've ever worked on!!

'05 749s...Termi 54mm full system, 41t sproket, DiD chain, Evoluzione fender eliminator, PCIII/custom map, Pazzo Levers, Puig DB Windscreen, Penske Shock, CRS Forks, CF everything.

www.ducati-owners-group.com

"Freedom, for those who fought for it, has a flavor the protected will never know..."
galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 10:08 pm   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JML
Hi everyone,

I have a question about Ducati 999.
this is my first time looking to purchase a 999 used one, I had Japanese bikes before and I am not familiar with Italian bikes.
I like to know are these bikes reliable?
what type of service intervals? are they expensive
the one I am looking to buy has 13000 miles on it.

should it be smooth on the edges? because the bike I have interest in buying has some quality that seemed imprefected.

Please tell me what to look for on a clean bike.

Thanks

James
What year? Raced? Local? what other quality issues?
You can take it to a dealer and have them do a once over and make sure you get the service history?
2004 749R #0065
2008 Hyper S - Sold
2007 SC 1000 S - sold
2005 999 S - SOLD
2006 KTM 950 SM - SOLD
Greg_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 11:07 pm   #8 (permalink)

personally ,unless theres paperwork to show recent service work i'd factor in a $1000 for a full service (including belts) .while much maint can be done by owner,many engine specific chores are done with the mathesis handheld.belt tension,injector adj and balance etc .and while checking the valves isn't bad,running to the dealer for shims is a pita. the bike should show near perfect as most owners do take very good care of their bike.if it looks shabby ,i'd keep looking
Advertisement