advice before I do something dumb - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Ducati Motorcycle Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 10:24 am   #1 (permalink)

advice before I do something dumb

Hello everyone,
I am currently deployed and have put money down on the 1098s. This is going to be my new track bike, it's replacing my 998 that I am parting out. Now I am also thinking about selling my 01 996, but it's not just any 996.

-52mm full termi
-ITG under tank filter
-Ohlins rear
-4 pad Brembos
-AFAM 520 Quick Change Sprocket
-Adjustable rear-sets (black)
-After market clutch slave cylinder (german company)
-5 spoke magnesium rims (black)
-DP carbon fairings, nose (with large intakes), air runners (large), tail, air box, headlight bucket, fairing stays, V-piece, front sprocket cover, hugger, front fender, swingarm guard, and fuel tank
-Bucci slipper w/ Barnett plates
-Power Commander and Wideband Commander
-FIM UM232 chip
-Aluminum mono subframe

How many here think it's a mistake to sell it? I keep going back and forth with this, I just don't think anyone would pay $14,000 for an 01 996 even with everything I've done to it. Really could use some thoughts on this. Thank you for your time and here's a couple pictures.

John
Attached Thumbnails
advice before I do something dumb-996.jpg   advice before I do something dumb-996-1.jpg   advice before I do something dumb-996-2.jpg  

Hard times don't last, but hard men do.

ducati_1098s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 6th, 2007, 10:45 am   #2 (permalink)

First the fact that you're asking makes me think it would be a mistake to sell the 996, second since a nice new 1098 is only a grand more than what you'd be asking i think you'd take a bath in the selling price. She's a looker, keep her for a street bike.

“Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.” Ahmed Ibn Fahdlan

"Now think real hard. You been bird-dogging this township a while now. They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet: I will end you." Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

'11 Harley-Davidson Super Glide Custom.
’03 749 Biposto “Rosa”.
'93 Katana 600 "Rat Kat"(SOLD)
'09 Honda Rebel 250
B_Cebrian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 1:26 pm   #3 (permalink)
Ban Hammer

If you don't HAVE to sell it, and you are gonna lose you ass if you do, then keep it.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 6:56 pm   #4 (permalink)
mad

Sell it....to me.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 9:08 am   #5 (permalink)

G.a.a.a.d.

Are You Mad?????? That's a keeper ALL THE WAY... If you sell her sooner or later you'll regret it.. she is SWEEEETTT!!!!!! and you wont get back what u put into her.. she's destined to be a classic..DON'T DO IT!!!DON'T YOU SELL HER!!!!!
rekloose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 10:34 am   #6 (permalink)

I agree with all the above posts. You'll not get anywhere near what you have put into it. If you can afford to keep it....DO!

2008 848
996pilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 10:36 am   #7 (permalink)

Don't sell her, she's a keeper.
1995 RF900
ron2wlz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 11:42 am   #8 (permalink)

Do not sell!

Here's a little tale...please bare with me: I bought my first 996 in 2003. It was a brand new 01 model I found at a dealership in NH. It had always been a dream of mine to own a 916 series superbike, and that yellow bi posto did not disappioint me one bit. I didn't get to ride it much at first because I was in DC at the time, and I bought it in October, two months before moving to Italy. But, I must say, to be able to just look at that sexy Italian exotic made my blood boil! Fastforward to about a year ago when I was saddled in delimma; the riding position exasperated the pain in my neck. I could keep the bike, ride it only so often and deal with the pain, or sell it for something more practical. So, I reluctantly sold my baby and got a Harley. Ok, maybe a Harley isn't really practical, but I got it as a retirement gift to myself, and it did offer a better riding position. I moved back to the states in June, and absolutely felt the empty void in my life that was once filled with my glorious yellow bi posto. So, neck be damned, I found another yellow 996, this one a mono, and once again all is right in my world! Well, just about right...I still need change to a bi posto sub frame and tail section.

I guess you know my advice

2000 996 (Yellow, of course goddamnit!)
Cattivo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 11:52 am   #9 (permalink)

Keep this bike
El_Gladiator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 1:57 pm   #10 (permalink)

Keep it, but sell the c/f fairings.

With the money you make, go do a track day and it'll light up your fire for the bike again.
fixcinater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.