Ask Keith Code!! - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 579 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2006, 9:48 am Thread Starter
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c

Exclamation Ask Keith Code!!

Hey folks,

Any intetest in having Keith Code join us for a Q & A session regadring "proper" cornering techniques. Keith is an expert in the field as you all know...

Let me know and if so, I'll set it up.. :=}

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 579 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 2006, 1:54 pm
rob

Another idea. If Keith and his CSS want to become sponsoring members of the forum, they could have their own forum with a logo where they could post schedules and repond to questions.

VENDOR: Premium
Premium Vendors may post their products or services in an exclusive sub-forum with their vendor logo for view by the Ducati.ms members. PREMIUM Vendor subscription at $120.00 per year billed annually (that's only $10.00 per month).

Rob Allen

2001 BMW K1200LTC "BatGirl"
2004 Suzuki DRZ125L
2005 Suzuki DR200 Dual Sport
2007 Yamaha TT-R 50 (for the munchkin)

Be strong enough to stand firm when you're right,
Be humble enough to admit when you're wrong,
And be wise enough to know the difference.
post #3 of 579 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2006, 1:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer
The only problem with doing it in live chat is that Keith's responses are lost when you close the window. If you do them here, it's not quite real time, but the questions and Keith's answers are here for others to read.
I agree with that, everyone may not be able to participate at the same time and I think it would be more respectful of Keith's time if he can respond at his leisure.

It will be a great honor to have someone of his caliber available here on Ducati.ms. I'm honored! There are a thousand things I would like to ask him but I guess I'll have to contain myself. I think it's great that not only was he interested in riding dynamics at an early age but that he followed his interest and curiosity through with research to test his theories and further his understanding of such an esoteric subject. The fact that his is willing to share his knowledge and experience with us is just icing on the cake!

Mike Mullen
2002 STealTH Ducati ST4s (x2)
1985 Ducati Mille S2
post #4 of 579 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2006, 9:14 am

Is this home now?

Hi all,

Is this home for our Q&A?

BTW, thank you all for the warm welcome.

Keith
post #5 of 579 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2006, 11:54 am

Very honored that you'd post here, codedog.

So many questions I'd love to ask, but I'm already flummoxed trying to understand all you have written in your books. I'll keep working at it.

What do you think of traction control, and other electronic aids in racing? To me, I don't think I like these systems replacing human skills I can only dream about having.

Fresh out of Ducatis in the garage at this moment.

Hang on... what's this? I must have that!

Welcome to the garage, Mr. GT1000!
post #6 of 579 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2006, 12:48 pm
Dragon_Lady

this is where I'm at in my cornering....

No, I don't know. I have no idea. I just go, "Hmmm, Wow! That seems to work." And then I dont really think that much about it after that. There wasn't any particular sense of discovery or anything like that. I think I got it, and I went, "Oh, that kinda works. Interesting." And I just continue to ride.

I feel when I listen to 100 different people It confuses me so I block them out of my head and block of my msn because I cant take what they are telling me constantly, it seems every one has an answer to the way you ride or what you should be riding. I dont understand how people tell me 'dont ride that ducati, get a kawasaki or a yamaha. Does it make a difference what I ride, in 2 years if I want to buy a kawasaki and ride both I WILL.
One person takes me around the track to show me my lines I should be using, then the next person takes me around, then the next, and all their lines are different, and they all say 'use these lines'.
Now all this has me putting honda decals on my ducati because really 'who cares'

I can see myself going a crazzy speed around the track and I just try and keep hoping I will eventually get there by moving my points in the grass up evey time, lean in, hit my lines, and pray I dont fall, also I pray that God will turn me into a better rider by giving me info from ABOVE into my mind.
By doing that the more the markers move up in my imagination the bike shakes, which made me get rid of my 749 and get an R, 'maybe the suspention will be better', and it is.
My one problem I think I have is I think about a bunch of things while I'm riding which causes me to drift off.....
which more and more I'm starting to recognize the root to that problem, which is my problem, the battle of my mind.
I have never encountered some thing more challenging rather then my own self.

any pointers?

Last edited by Dragon_Lady; Dec 17th, 2006 at 1:14 pm.
post #7 of 579 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2006, 1:44 pm
Nobody

Garage
Exclamation Ask Keith Code!!

Thanks to the efforts of BrianMDavis (take a bow, Brian!), you can now ask your riding and technique related questions here and get a response direct form Keith Code!

Keith will be stopping by from time to time to answer our questions, depart some wisdom, and maybe help to keep us all out of the ditches/haybales!

This is a terrific opportunity for us all, and I'm sure everybody will treat Keith with the respect he deserves. Lets keep the banter to a minimum so one won't have to wade through pages of conversation to find the good info one is looking for.

If you don't know who Keith Code is, a quick Google search should clear that right up...so without further ado, Ask Keith Code!

KTM950SMR
post #8 of 579 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2006, 2:06 pm

Ok let me start off. Might be a newbie racer question, but I am asking anyway.

I visited a Supermoto course today and the host was talking all about how to brake late and turn in on a Supermoto.

Now that I actually road race bikes on Europe´s race tracks, I am wondering how I can increase my speeds and laptimes in terms of braking into corners and getting on the throttle quickly.

Is there a special technique in order to maintain high corner entry and exit speed and to have enough grip?

From my very short racing experience I understand that the body position is a main factor while running into corners. I see a lot of racers braking really late and getting on the throttle a lot sooner than I am able to do it at my current level. Most often I think if I would do the same, I might be running wide or lose my rear wheel.

Maybe you have some input for me here.

Thanks for your attention and spare time!

Greetings from northern Germany,

Benjamin
post #9 of 579 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2006, 1:31 am

Keith,
How do I stop high-siding my bike? Every time I crash, its due to a high-side, and I get injured each time.

In each crash, I know the cause: old tires, oil on rear tire, cold spot on track, wet spot on track. But each crash is pretty much the same, rear end steps out exiting the corner on the throttle, I instinctively chop the throttle and next thing I know, I am flying through the air.

It's kind of hard to tell your right hand to stay on the gas when the rear end has stepped out so far. What should I do?

Thanks!
Brian
post #10 of 579 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2006, 12:23 pm
rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motobee
It's kind of hard to tell your right hand to stay on the gas when the rear end has stepped out so far. What should I do?
Hey, Brian, I know this was a question for Mr. Code, but I think you gave yourself the answer right there: tell your right hand to stay on the gas when the rear end steps out. Obviously, some high-sides can't be saved. The first key is to not let it happen in the first place by being smoother on the throttle, but in the cases you cite -- oil on the track and what-not -- where it can't be avoided, you have to just try to ride it out without sacrificing smoothness. It seems to me that the "survival instinct" of chopping the throttle is the culprit.

My advice would be to put yourself on a training regimen where the rear slides frequently -- like in the dirt. Practice spinning up the rear and letting it step out and condition yourself to stay on the throttle until you can get the rear tire back in line with the front. Schools like American Supercamp and Rich Oliver's Mystery School -- where they do lots of dirt track training -- come to mind as good venues. I think Supercamp is even doing Supermoto now, which will let you mess around with breaking the rear loose on pavement as well as dirt.

I'm sure Keith's school devotes some time to rear end slides, too. The best thing you can do is cause the slide as often as possible under controlled conditions and train yourself to where you're prepared to react correctly when that unexpected rear end step-out happens on the pavement.

Hope that helps. And I hope I'm not stepping on Keith's toes by responding like this. If I am, smack me down, mea culpa, and I'll shut up.

Rob Allen

2001 BMW K1200LTC "BatGirl"
2004 Suzuki DRZ125L
2005 Suzuki DR200 Dual Sport
2007 Yamaha TT-R 50 (for the munchkin)

Be strong enough to stand firm when you're right,
Be humble enough to admit when you're wrong,
And be wise enough to know the difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode