Ask Keith Code!! - Page 58 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #571 of 579 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2015, 7:00 am

Air Duck,

I don't understand how your T-Shirt became worn out. Have you been wearing it or something like that? :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 579 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2015, 7:00 am

Yes that's what I've been doing Keith - except I've been consciously pressing 'down' on the outside peg too...

Your books were available over here before you brought your course to Europe so I'd read them a bunch of times before attending the courses (was just levels 1,2,3 back then iirc).

Just to get this straight - are you saying that we don't 'need' downward pressure on the pegs and 'just' need a firm anchor with the outside leg etc?

Thanks again Keith, much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by codedog View Post
Air Duck,

I don't understand how your T-Shirt became worn out. Have you been wearing it or something like that? :-)
Yes mate, but I have been keeping it for 'best' occasions only

post #573 of 579 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2015, 7:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Duck View Post
Yes that's what I've been doing Keith - except I've been consciously pressing 'down' on the outside peg too...

Your books were available over here before you brought your course to Europe so I'd read them a bunch of times before attending the courses (was just levels 1,2,3 back then iirc).

Just to get this straight - are you saying that we don't 'need' downward pressure on the pegs and 'just' need a firm anchor with the outside leg etc?

Thanks again Keith, much appreciated!

Yes mate, but I have been keeping it for 'best' occasions only
Air Duck,

Yes, you can clamp your leg against the tank in a scissors fashion and that is pretty good but not everyone fits their bike that way. The nearly universal solution is doing a calf raise off the outside peg with the knee/thigh wedged up and into the tank.

IN this case the amount of down pressure on the peg is exactly the same as the pressure that goes into the tank. You can think of it as creating a strut between the peg and the tank.

Any method is enhanced with tank grip. We use Stomp Grip on our school bikes as does the UK branch of the school.

Is that clear?

Keith
Focker likes this.
post #574 of 579 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2015, 7:24 am

Quote:
Air Duck,

Yes, you can clamp your leg against the tank in a scissors fashion and that is pretty good but not everyone fits their bike that way. The nearly universal solution is doing a calf raise off the outside peg with the knee/thigh wedged up and into the tank.

IN this case the amount of down pressure on the peg is exactly the same as the pressure that goes into the tank. You can think of it as creating a strut between the peg and the tank.

Any method is enhanced with tank grip. We use Stomp Grip on our school bikes as does the UK branch of the school.

Is that clear?

Keith
Yes that's clear - thanks!

Yes I do clamp against the offside of the tank etc, it was the foot pressure I'd misinterpreted, thanks for clarifying!

Yes I use Stomp Grip too.

post #575 of 579 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2015, 9:45 am

Quote:
I'm curious now. Did you go?

Keith
I did actually -- so my first two days ever on the track were Levels 1 & 2. The content of the first two levels was appropriate for a track noob, or at least it wasn't lost on me. Very drill based, which I believe starting with some good habits by way of drills was the best way to start riding on the track. I wound up renting a school bike for one of the days that was quite rainy (traction control!) and rode my 999 for the other day, and no problem really having no experience on either bike.

I've done about 6 days on the track since the course last August. If I could go every weekend I would!

2005 999
2006 749s -- sold; 2011 Monster 796 -- sold; 2009 1198 -- sold; 2002 Monster 750 -- sold
post #576 of 579 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2015, 10:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftriathlete View Post
I did actually -- so my first two days ever on the track were Levels 1 & 2. The content of the first two levels was appropriate for a track noob, or at least it wasn't lost on me. Very drill based, which I believe starting with some good habits by way of drills was the best way to start riding on the track. I wound up renting a school bike for one of the days that was quite rainy (traction control!) and rode my 999 for the other day, and no problem really having no experience on either bike.

I've done about 6 days on the track since the course last August. If I could go every weekend I would!
aftriathlete,

Happy to hear that. It's really satisfying to find riders becoming enthusiastic enough to start trackdays after they come to school.

Keith
post #577 of 579 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2015, 6:13 pm

As we are in the middle of turn and the front tire is at its limit. Lets say its a left hand turn. To stand the bike up, we must countersteer left, but since the front tire is at the limit, that would make it go over the limit and slip ( since we are asking it to tighten the line even though momentarily). Is this true, or is there something wrong with my logic?

Thanks in advance
post #578 of 579 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2016, 2:22 pm

Over The Limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erunanethiel View Post
As we are in the middle of turn and the front tire is at its limit. Lets say its a left hand turn. To stand the bike up, we must countersteer left, but since the front tire is at the limit, that would make it go over the limit and slip ( since we are asking it to tighten the line even though momentarily). Is this true, or is there something wrong with my logic?

Thanks in advance
Sorry for not getting back to you on this, I think my notifications for the forum went South!

To answer: "The limit" is an interesting idea--but as we've discovered--not so easy to define. Someone or some tech advance always comes along and blows "the limit" out of the water. We could examine your question in any number of ways. The idea that you would momentarily be going over the limit by counter steering the bike back up would be analogous with riding, at the limit, over a 1 foot wide wet strip that was across the road. The tire circumference is about 83" on a 200 X 60 X 17 rear tire, about 7 feet of rubber. Is that enough to make the bike slide out? Maybe, but only maybe. Almost too many factors to list, like suspension, tire condition, pavement grip, rider inputs, etc., etc. Then, too, because the bike will begin to come up out of its lean, there is an immediate reduction of grip demand.

There is an interesting phenomena that can occur "at the limit" where turning the front wheel in creates a pushing (slightly sliding) front wheel. The resistance created by the 'pushing' acts as a pivot point and jacks the back end around, outward, pointing the bike into the corner. This is also standard technique for flat trackers to help get the bike turned. It isn't something that works everywhere and you really do have to be right close to the limit of lean AND be willing to have the back end come around (slide).

Was I any help?

Keith
post #579 of 579 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2016, 1:05 pm

I hate to be so crass as this and promote the schools but this will be for some a "not to be missed". Keith

California Superbike School Goes To COTA this August
The Superbike School is running two 2-Day Camps at Circuit Of The Americas (COTA) in Austin, Texas. The first Camp on August 15/16 is sold out however there are spots available for the August 17/18 Camp.
The 3.4 mile circuit will have a maximum of 18 students on track with two groups alternating all day, both days. The coach student ratio will be 1:2. Everything is provided at the track including a fleet of new 2016 premium package BMW S1000RR's. This is a bucket-list experience for those wanting to ride a top-tier GP track with personalized coaching and a minimal number of riders.
Since 1980 The Superbike School has run in 35 countries at 119 tracks and Circuit Of The Americas will be number 120 on that list.
Keith Code, Founder of The Superbike School, said: "I had a chance to ride COTA last year at a press event with BMW. The facility is top notch. The track is long and wide, with consistent grip and presents the rider with a number of challenges while being a blast to ride. We decided to make this event happen even if it is just once, in order to give our students a chance to have a spectacular experience on one of the world's great tracks."
Visit the school's web site at California SuperBike School | California SuperBike School or Call their toll free number at 800 530-3350 to sign up now, there really are only a few spots still open.
scott, Warp Racer and Focker like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode