Ask Keith Code!! - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 579 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2006, 2:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger_WI
Mike - I've been through 4 of Keith's schools now, and he actually addressed this particular point with us during Level 1 while teaching the value of quick-steering the bike at your turn-in point.
This is a little different case because the bike is normally upright at the turn-in point but, in the transition of a chicane, the bike might already be at full lean when the next turn is initiated. Granted, modern sport tires offer so much traction and chassis designs are quicker than in the past so this might not be an issue with typical situations but I'm trying to understand the dynamics involved considering that under low traction conditions or with high trail chassis designs loss of traction during the transition may come into play in unexpected ways. And I'm also trying to understand the real world trade-offs of chassis designs that vary in steering quickness.

Mike Mullen
2002 STealTH Ducati ST4s (x2)
1985 Ducati Mille S2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 579 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2006, 11:37 am

questions and answers

I'm still here, my schedule just got a little chopped up and the reply program crashed an answer to the questions you guys posted and ate my 45 minutes of replies...:-(

I'll be back.

Keith
post #23 of 579 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:09 am
rob

Yesterday afternoon's mailer from Mr. Code

I received my little newsletter thing from CSS yesterday, and there was a link to an article Keith wrote on crashes. I enjoyed the read, so I thought I'd share it here.

http://forums.superbikeschool.com/in...?showtopic=703

Rob Allen

2001 BMW K1200LTC "BatGirl"
2004 Suzuki DRZ125L
2005 Suzuki DR200 Dual Sport
2007 Yamaha TT-R 50 (for the munchkin)

Be strong enough to stand firm when you're right,
Be humble enough to admit when you're wrong,
And be wise enough to know the difference.
post #24 of 579 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 2:33 am

I don't understand why "hanging off" reduces the lean angle required for a turn. It does seem to work from my experience but I don't know why.
The usual explanation is because of the shift in the CG. If you could take the CG shift idea to its extreme, could you turn without leaning at all?
I would think that a motorcycle turns based on geometry, rake, trail, wheelbase and contact patch. Please explain.

05 999
93 900SS
01 KTM400
post #25 of 579 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 1:51 pm Thread Starter
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c

Keith,

Thanks for getting this going. I've been absent as you figured out. Snowboarding actually. Heck, so bruised up and tired couldn't even get the energy to open my computer.

As you can see, you're presence here is greatly appreciated......

Folks, Keith is VERY analytical and needs "to the point" questions.

See you at Laguna in March Keith..
post #26 of 579 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 3:56 pm

some questions and answers

There are several main areas of questions I see so far: Turn Entry Speed, Lines, Steering. If it is all the same to you Iíd rather stay away from the very technical physics areas of riding and chassis design and defer to guys like Tony Foale and others who are dedicated in those areas.

Let me take one of the above, LINES, and see what we can do with it.

One of the major errors when trying to correct any area of riding is to be too general about the problem. The second error is not setting any kind of goal to achieve. The third is not arriving at a simple enough, step by step way to approach and handle that area of riding.

Figuring out specifically which kinds of turns a rider had line problems would be a first step: slow turns, decreasing radius turns, big sweepers, etc., which ones are difficult.

An overall goal could be something likeóto be able to make any line work out.

One approach could be to run a wide variety of lines until you were comfortable with all of them.

Taking that idea one step at a time: decide to take a whole ride using only low, tight to the inside lines. Then later or on another ride you would run middle of the road type lines. At another time you would use the wide entry/close to the apex/ wide exit style of riding and ride every turn in that ride in that style.

Rather than the problems of each coming to you in a random pattern you would start to see what is needed to handle each of those situations, depending on what you were trying to accomplish.

In our twice a year Race And Competition Experience program what we do is set up those different turn entry positions and then we radar the exit speeds so riders can see immediately how it affects speed. In that case, speed is an indication of their confidence to use the throttle and the exercise shows them which line is best for that specific purpose.

Yes there are many technical points underlying how to gain confidence with the whole area of lines. If you had a very observant coach following you it would simplify the whole process but that isnít always practical and great coaches donít grow on trees, they are trained.

How are you doing with this type of dialog? Does it help? Itís a new way for me to do forum stuff so I want your reviews please.

Keith
post #27 of 579 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 4:11 pm

Keith,

I see you are on-line. I took the 2-day course this summer at Blackhawk farms in IL from you. Just wanted to say I had a great time and learned a lot. Too bad it's hard to practice up here this time of year.

Joe Neglia

2013 Multistrada 1200S - Red
2006 ST3s - Red -
gone
2006 999s - Red
1999 900SS - Yellow
- gone
post #28 of 579 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 2006, 1:59 pm Thread Starter
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c

Howdy folks,

Please visit Keith's web-site and buy "Twist of the Wrist" Vol. II. It's a quick read with excellent information. Write down the questions you have. Then post...We'll get some very well thought out questions this way...

Happy Holidays!

Brian
post #29 of 579 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 2006, 8:27 pm

+1 to what Brian said. Twist of the Wrist 1 & 2 is like the manual for riding better. I re-read both books every winter and refer to them when ever I feel like I am having a problem. These 2 books are the best $40 bucks that you can spend. Imho.

2001 ST2
1998 SuperSport
post #30 of 579 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2006, 3:11 pm

Keith, here's a question about braking:

How go WSB and MotoGP riders hang on when braking? For me, when I'm doing hard braking from speed I clamp my legs on the tank and get my body low, and I still feel like I'm doing a 100mph handstand. I don't mean the rear tire comes off the ground, but I end up with a lot of pressure on my arms. This makes it harder to finesse the bike, the controls, and setting up for the turn.

I see the MotoGP guys get to the end of a straight, and then they sit up, stick a knee out, and yet brake so hard they're nearly doing a stoppie. Do they simply have huge arm strength or is there a trick I'm missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode