The Since There's No Birds Around Thread - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2017, 9:54 pm Thread Starter
Retired Pipe Polisher

Garage
That has got to be the curtest opossum on the planet. In Texas they are mean nasty creatures!

The Since There's No Birds Around Thread-imageuploadedbymotorcycle1483584751.630590.jpg

The Since There's No Birds Around Thread-imageuploadedbymotorcycle1483584848.914902.jpg

Mike
2006 999, 2007 S2R1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2017, 11:22 pm
Just Getting Fatter

Location: Ral-E / Boston / Pan City, , Citizen of the World Earth
Why are you apex predators not dispatching these thieves ?
Squirrels , robbing my bird feeders ... 'T'eeves!

KTM 690 SMC / Enduro - R9T - SV650 'Track and Mountain Ed
'Lex Talionis'
'Welcome to the church of the open Field, Let us Prey!'
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2017, 2:54 am

Aussie Possums might look cute but they're mean dangerous little bastards, sharp as hell teeth and claws, they are carriers of Bovine T.B, and a threat to our agriculture. Introduced to New Zealand a couple of hundred years ago and are now our biggest pest, decimating our native bush. A major poisoning campaign is being run to try and eliminate the little bastards but I fear we are stuck with them.

NZDAVE, Invercargill, New Zealand, 2003 800SSie

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2017, 9:06 am

Garage
Possums up here are gnarly looking but they're very passive critters... will hide or climb away from danger instead of getting mean and fighting. They're also pretty slow and deliberate... possums don't run. Our Bull Terrier caught one in our barn going after the chickens years ago and killed it so fast (2 to 3 seconds) that we didn't even realize what she had until she turned around dragging it by the neck.

Raccoons on the other hand... they are ABSOLUTELY mean and dangerous. A raccoon will give a single dog enough of a fight that most dogs learn to leave them alone.

At a park near where I grew up (with a lot of camping), the coons will beg food from campers. Some drunken genius (at a party I was attending) said "here... hold my beer" and proceeded to walk up to a raccoon, giving it a snack (they used to take popcorn out of my hand... they LOVE popcorn). When the animal reached out to take the food the intrepid drunk reached around and grabbed the coon by the tail and chucked it through the air to smack into a tree maybe 10' away. The raccoon hit the ground awkwardly but was on his feet instantly and LAUNCHED at the dipshit... then proceed to TEAR HIM UP. Many stitches later I think the kid decided that messing with raccoons was probably a bad idea.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 82 Maxim 550 (wife)
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2017, 11:45 am
Still needs a life.

A friend of mine described raccoons as "small bears." A raccoon broke into his barn and killed one of his geese that he had brought in for the night. I can never leave my pet turtles outside for the night in the summer or the raccoons will go after them.

Bill Anderson & Darkwing Duc (06-ST3s, black) Edmonds, WA. USA
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2017, 11:51 am
Still needs a life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Anderson View Post
A few years ago I photographed an albino nutria there, but I did not see one when I took these photos on 11-23-16. An albino's odds of survival against local predators such as coyotes are not good.
Found my old photos of an albino or leucistic nutria taken at the Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge on 3-2-13.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	white nutria (1) 3-2-13.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	781409   Click image for larger version

Name:	white nutria (2) 3-2-13.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	781417  
DuckMan likes this.

post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2017, 2:14 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Anderson View Post
Found my old photos of an albino or leucistic nutria taken at the Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge on 3-2-13.
Looks like a beaver - muskrat love child that was dropped in bleach. I don't think we've got them around here, I see a lot of muskrat and they're smaller and more ratlike... and I see a lot of beaver and they're a lot bigger looking.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 82 Maxim 550 (wife)
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2017, 5:34 pm
Still needs a life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
Looks like a beaver - muskrat love child that was dropped in bleach. I don't think we've got them around here, I see a lot of muskrat and they're smaller and more ratlike... and I see a lot of beaver and they're a lot bigger looking.
We have beavers, muskrats, and river otters in my urban area north of Seattle. You have to take careful note (and/or good photos) when trying to identify a mammal swimming in the water.

post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2017, 7:34 pm Thread Starter
Retired Pipe Polisher

Garage
I remember beaver hunting when I was in Jr. high school. I would cut class and go roaming the hallways in search of beaver. You had to be careful to get an angle of view into the classroom where the teacher couldn't see you. Ground level usually afforded the best chance of seeing a beaver.

Mike
2006 999, 2007 S2R1000
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2017, 8:49 pm
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMan View Post
I remember beaver hunting when I was in Jr. high school. I would cut class and go roaming the hallways in search of beaver. You had to be careful to get an angle of view into the classroom where the teacher couldn't see you. Ground level usually afforded the best chance of seeing a beaver.
Yup
DuckMan likes this.

Scott
Sacramento CA

'03 Ducati ST4S with ABS
'05 BMW LT-C
'15 BMW S1000RR (Jessica's)
'12 KTM 500EXC

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode